Advice on writing an unfavourable review

Monique241
Level 3
George Town, Malaysia

Advice on writing an unfavourable review

The draft below is what had happened, how can I write in more "professional way"?

I was hesitate to review XXX but I decided to do so as it was my responsibility as a host to leave an honest review. I must say I shared the same feeling with those few hosts who had hosted XXX. XXX is not a bad person, just insensitive. He booked our room for entire week on peak season and went hidden until the check-in day despite numerous attempts we had made to contact him. He then complained about the noise the moment he check-in which we already clearly mentioned in our listing. On the fourth day he decided to cut his stay to 4 days and he sent an alteration request at 1am. We were shocked as that's mean he will check out a few hour later. We accepted the alteration anyway even our cancellation policy is strict. Luckily we were instantly rebooked. 5 hours later at 6am, XXX left his bags in my house, took all the key with him and came back at 3pm (our check-out time is 12 noon). He did packed his stuffs and put aside but how can we check in next guest when we know another guest still has the key and will return to the house? what if XXX come back and enter the room? XXX did apologize on the inconveniences he had caused via text message. The good part about XXX was he did take good care of our room, and he was clean and tidy. My sincere advise is for him to take a break on Airbnb until he finally change the way he looks at things.

Thanks in advance!!!

8 Replies 8
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

"Probably better suited to a hotel"

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

"XXX respected our space and left it clean. However he did not respond to attempts to communicate before check-in, requested and received a same-day alteration request to cut his stay short, then left his bags in our space and kept the key until 3 hours past check-out time. He complained about noise that is disclosed in our listing. We would decline to host this guest again."

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

See below Lisa... in reply to the questioner. I appreciate this thoughtful model review.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Much shorter

”not a guest I would be willing to host again nor one I recommend to others”

Monique241
Level 3
George Town, Malaysia

Thank you very much, I know what to do now.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Thank you so much for the question Monique. I am impressed by the straightforward and uncomplicated model review from Lisa as she is both complimentary and clear. Other hosts might not be upset by the Guests way of being.

I'd love to know how you did address this xx

Monique241
Level 3
George Town, Malaysia

My final review.

"I was hesitate to review Yuxie because I shared the same thought with others who has hosted Yuxie in the past. Yuxie respected our space and left it clean. However he did not respond to attempts to communicate before check-in, requested and received a same-day alteration request to cut his stay short, then left his bags in our space and kept the key until 3 hours past check-out time. He complained about noise that is disclosed in our listing. He is not a guest I would be willing to host again nor one I recommend to others, as he probably better suited to a hotel."

Perhaps a shorter version:

"Yuxie respected our space and left it clean; unfortunately he did not respond at all to any attempts to communicate before check-in. He is a guest I rather not host again nor one I recommend to others, as he probably is better suited to a hotel."

The last line just by by itself will work just as well also. The leaving of luggage is something you must have allowed and the key business is a function of your logistics and may not apply with hosts using other types of security transition.

Above all, make sure you come across cool, not picky.