Taxes

Christian111
Level 1
Calgary, Canada

Taxes

When Booking Through AirBnB guest have a net price, our Goverment charges a TAX of 19%.

This must be applied to the rate- AirBnB must facilitate a Tax % Option.

All Money transcations in our country must be accounted for.

Thanks, 

Christian

20 Replies 20
Gordon19
Level 2
Kennebunk, ME

I completely agree. My state charges a 9% "casual rental" tax for stays under 7 days. It would be great if Airbnb would collect this for me and pay the state.

Gordon

Kennebunk, Maine

Bessy0
Level 1
Athens, Greece

Same here, and I think a VAT separate calculation should be also available - we had a VAT explosion recently which I could not reflect in my prices

Kimberly34
Level 2
Los Barriles, Baja California Sur, MX

Yes pleaase add line items for various taxes

Anne22
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

Airbnb must facilitate the tax option and permit for hosts. It's a nightmare to deal with that when a website could just design a big picture solution with the government like they did in SF or Milan.

John295
Level 1
New Jersey, United States

John

Yes please add a line item for Taxes.

Doug25
Level 2
San Jose, CA

In Lake Tahoe we have a 10% transient

Tax for stays less than 30 days. 

The he county requires this to be paid on all income.. So everyone who is renting 

on Airbnb is currently in violation as

the ordinance says the tax has to be 

called out-- and separate from the nightly

Amount. You can't roll it in.. 

Christine218
Level 3
Solana Beach, CA

Yes Yes Yes!! Airbnb should have line to enter the tax and collect and pay it directly on behalf of its hosts. Even better - let the town/city/state apply for it by zipcode directly with airbnb. It should be a simple computer calculation on their end and one check per town/city/state/whatever. They might not have as much opposition from communities, cities and towns if VAT taxes are automatically collected and paid out!!

Diana103
Level 6
Oceanside, CA

Yes please, have a spot for us to write in the tax.  Rolling it in is against the law

JoseandVadym0
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

It will greate to add tax line in Airbnb website. We pay taxes directly to Airbnb.

John305
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

ALL of the points above are "SPOT ON" AND there is one thing missing from this VERY IMPORTANT TOPIC and affects MANY - if not all - hosts: AIRBNB SHOULD ALLOW US TO LIST A RATE WITHOUT TAX AND THEN THEY NEED TO HAVE A SEPARATE LINE FOR TAX.

This is for ALL of us that LEGALLY collect and remit taxes (which are LEGALLY REQUIRED on most Airbnb transactions) - when we put our DAILY rate into the calendar we have to TAKE INTO ACCOUNT that the amount we post will be lower than what we COLLECT since a portion goes to the taxes we LEGALLY remit. This causes lots of EXTRA WORK for HOSTS whenever we list a rate or change a rate. Airbnb pushes Dynamic Pricing (which is a GREAT pricing model) but this requires lots of different prices and price changes. Here is an example of what I mean: There are 5 weeknights that I want to get $150/night. I HAVE TO CALCULATE what the rate is with the tax and list that rate ($171/night) and list that rate. Then I may want to lower my rate for this set of nights to $130/night. Now I HAVE TO CALCULATE what the rate is with tax (148/night) and list that rate. THIS MAY NOT SOUND LIKE A LOT OF WORK BUT IF AIRBNB WANTS TO MAKE OUR "JOB" EASIER - THIS WOULD HELP. Also, just about every OTHER SITE does this. our GUESTS are USED TO PAYING TAXES for various things - THIS WILL NOT UPSET OUR GUESTS AT ALL or BE AN ISSUE WITH THEM.

Sheri10
Level 1
Boone, NC

So, I am new to AirBnB, and have a question about state tax and local occupancy tax. I know that I need to collect both on my rental nights unless they exceed 90 days. Does my rate on AirBnB (say $120 per night) include the 12.75% tax? That would be 6% bed tax and 6.75% local/state tax? Reading this thread, I am more confused than I was. I do know that AirBnB is collecting the tax, but I don't know if it is on top of my nightly rate or included in my nightly rate. 

Thanks for any insight.

John305
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Sheri, currently Airbnb does not collect the tax for the city where my two properties are located. I can think of 2 ways for you to find the answer to your question:

1) Call Airbnb customer service. Overall, I have found Airbnb customer service to be very, very good. 2) Go to your reservations and click on "print confirmation." This will show a detailed breakdown of the fees paid listed for "payout."

Dimitri0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Neu in der Community? Stell dich hier vor. Siehe auch Community Hilfe! Richtlinien & Infos findest du in Neuigkeiten.

Elizabeth217
Level 2
Farmington, ME

Maine taxes "casual rentals" after the 14th rental 9 percent.