People are particular about temparature

People are particular about temparature

A recent guest wanted the air conditioning at 69 degrees.  This is often something that divides lovers and roommates and may make the visit unpleasant for people who are particular about temperature.  Maybe a good field for filtering on? or at least good information for hosts to share?

3 Comments
Alice-and-Jeff0
Level 10

Providing a place to talk about temperature settings in the house is a good idea!  

In the meantime, make sure when you review the guest you note that they asked you to lower the temperature to a 69 degrees.  That way, when hosts are doing their diligence about a guest, they should be able to head that issue off before the guest arrives (and potentially cancel).  The host can help set the guest-pectation to the right level with a quick note beforehand of "we keep the temperature at 75 and are willing to drop it to 74 but no farther"  or whatever.   

Steve2743
Level 10

Canadian, here. I'm having the same problem, but inversed. Fall temperatures are here, and it's currently sitting at 9° C (48° F) outside. My current guest (from a warm climate) keeps complaining that her suite is too cold. I've increased the upstairs thermostat to 25° C (77° F), which means it's about 21° C (70° F) in her suite. The furnace almost never shuts off at this temperature, I'm sweating to death upstairs (in my boxers), I've already provided her with extra blankets, and it's still not enough to keep her warm. Fortunately, it's supposed to warm up again next week. I'm thinking of adding something like this to my listing:

Note To Guests From Warm Climates: Please remember that the fall & winter months in Canada are very cold. There's nothing we love more than snuggling into a warm blanket and a thick sweater on a cold winter night. As such, our homes are generally kept at a lower temperature than you may be used to. Basement suites are a touch cooler. I'll do my best to keep the suite at a reasonable temperature, however I can not turn the thermostat above 20° C (68° F).

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived