Instant Book - Need 24 hour time-lag before address and contact information is shared w/ IB guest

0 Likes

Instant Book - Need 24 hour time-lag before address and contact information is shared w/ IB guest

I just turned IB off after seeing this post from a host.

A 24 hour time lag is needed so that the host has time to cancel, and if they do the guest does not get the address and private information.

This host had an IB and cancelled it, the cancellation was confirmed by Airbnb -  but the information had already been sent to the guest as soon as his reservation was made and when she got home he was in her apartment.

Quote from post:  "Airbnb did send a confirmation for the cancellation. The problem is as soon as the potential guest payment goes through they are given and address.  That is the dangerous part of this instant booking."

5 Comments
Helga0
Level 10

I never give the door code and the description how to find the house, before I get the arrival time of the guest, which needs a basic communication. 

The problem is not inherent to IB, it applies to all bookings

@Ange2we use IB and only send the access instructions after the guest has passed the "no refunds" window. You can you the "email the guest" feature on the reservations page, which will relay instructions to the guests' email (with attachments--ours includes a map and other "local interest" material). Or if you have simpler instructions, you can save a pre-drafted message.

We opted NOT to include all access instructions in the listing, simply for security purposes. What happens if ABB gets hacked??

Ange2
Level 10
Interesting. When I have done IB the guest gets my address and phone number automatically from Airbnb ( I am not talking about door codes etc.). I know because no sooner had a guest booked than he called me on my cell phone, within minutes. Only Airbnb has my cell phone it is not listed in any instructions anywhere on my listing. As for applying to all bookings, yes, BUT only when the booking has been accepted by the host. By default IB accepts all bookings without any host intervention. So the problem is only on IB - the host is not given the time to cancel if need be before the guest gets their address and phone number.
Ange2
Level 10

This is maybe easier to digest and implement:

1. An IB host is given the option to manually click a button to send the Address and Telephone number to an IB guest, within of course a limited time-frame, before it is automatically sent if the host has not cancelled. This gives the host time to cancel without having their information sent out.

2. Another button for hosts who don't care and don't want to address each reservation individually that sends info to all IB as soon as they book.

I have had a number of IB's with no information, telephone number is out of service, no e-mail, nothing, despite Airbnb Standard Requirements and choosing parameters such as ID etc. Possibly a glitch, but never the less a glitch whereby they now have my information. And, okay, they are more than likely great guests and not people looking to do harm. But, I prefer a calculated risk rather than just plain risky. Also cancelling an IB without penalties is not as easy as it's cracked up to be and anyway at that point they have all your information anyway.

I think we have been conned into instant bookings . I like the idea of Gov ID. Which  could get previously without IB. Now Im getting reservations without even profile photos.