Guest review score (part of the guest profile)

Katka0
Level 4
Prague, Czech Republic

Guest review score (part of the guest profile)

Hi,

wouldn´t it be good if the reviews we give to the guests were calculated and the guest had a score (just the hosts have)? We discuss  more and more that some guests are troublesome we wouldn´t host them again (luckily it is a minority!), we would like to see a feature where we could blacklist some users etc. Isn´t it time (for airbnb) to start working more with the guest reviews? Some sort of guest review score would definitely help to protect the hosts against some guests.

I think that it would be also quite helpful in deciding who a host wants to receive an instant booking from.

The verbal reviews are great, but I think that we could do better with a little bit more information.

I want to emphasize that in 4 years on airbnb I have declined only a couple of booking requests and most guests are welcome in my place. But I have had an unpleasant experience recently and it made me realize that the hosts need some protection too.

What do the others think? It should be interesting to hear from you 🙂

K.

10 Replies 10
Katarina-and-Ante0
Level 5
Split, Croatia

I guess they don't want to scare off the guests. Maybe we could make it visible only when You are logged in as a host (meaning You have a place listed). Or at least for superhosts or hosts that had at least 10 guests?

Ante

Katka0
Level 4
Prague, Czech Republic

Yip, that´s what I thought too, but as you say it doesn´t have to be visible all the time. Perhaps only when they are about to make a booking. 

I don´t know how the instant booking is now, but before it was possible to set it that guests who do not have a positive review cannot make a booking in your place through the feature, only through request/approval - that would be a way. The guests wouldn´t even have to know really.

Beth27
Level 3
Greenwood Lake, NY

AMEN! Couldn't agree more!! Like you, I am long time host and I am starting to feel the cards stacked against us. Why does my house get an approval rating but a guest does not? Improved guest transparency is needed.

Monta0
Level 3
Boston, MA

AHHHHHHHHH. Why is this archived? I love and support this idea. It is genius. Like uber, as a guest you have a rating that you can't see that only hosts can see. As an uber passenger, I try my best to be a gracious passenger. I bet if guests were rated, they'd become better guests. All those stars that you rate your guests, those should be made visible to future hosts.

Caroline20
Level 2
Balearic Islands, Spain

I agree! I feel that not the majority- but more and more guest.  Don’t respect their hosts or their property, the effort it takes to be a good host .   They are looking for a cheap place to stay. Then maybe looking for refunds by complaining, threatening or behaving badly.

If they too had star rating then , we could weed out the bad ones !!

Blanche7
Level 2
Cochrane, Canada

I just had someone book today, that then had all sorts of questions about the spaces I rent, which was reasonable. But, then he cancelled and berated me for false advertising, which is absolutely not the case. He was quite nasty with the two responses he sent, for which I promptly reported him.

I looked to see if I could somehow block him, but apparently cannot. I agree wholeheartedly that AirBnB should provide some way for hosts to block such people so they do not hear from them again and so those people cannot book again or harass people. We should also be able to review these people and rate them such as people mentioned already. This should be possible even if they don't make a reservation or follow through with it so they cannot engage in the same behaviour with other hosts.

All my guests other than one booking (whom I subsequently reported) have been wonderful. And anyone who has inquired about booking with us has been equally nice. Unfortunate that there is always someone out there who has to be such a pain.

Further to my comment, this person's name is Wiley and his wife's name is Flora. They are from Owensboro, Kentucky. He has gray hair, is clean-shaven, is wearing a baseball hat with sunglasses, and looks like he is his late 50s. The two reviews he had from hosts were positive. However, I strongly recommend NEVER accepting his reservation.

Andrew-And-Alexis0
Level 1
Sioux Falls, SD

This is a really good idea. We had someone put through an instant booking who didn't read our simple rules, and broke them all. I'd like the ability to leave a more detailed scoring, and wish I could've seen their scoring before letting such a person in my home. 

I just had  a couple of nightmare guests while I was on holiday last week - the first were noisy and left the place dirty.  The next seemed to have OCD, rearranged the furniture and then wrote a nasty review and went on to tell lots of lies about the place (all of which I dealt with in my response to the Airbnb agent who was dealing with her complaints) in an attempt to get her money back.  She wanted  a full refund - she got half.   I told the agent I really hate the idea of this crazy woman going into someone else's place and giving them sleepless nights like she has done for me - but they don't seem to be able to do it.  I think a scoring system would be far better than a mere 'yes' or 'no' about recommending.   If I could tell you all who these women were so that you didn't accept her booking, I would!!!  You're probably safe if you are not in the UK though!

Blanche7
Level 2
Cochrane, Canada

I had a couple groups like that. The first one wrote a terrible review full of lies and calling my husband creepy, which he gave them no reason to do and is not true. I promptly wrote a very polite and tactful public response back setting her straight and telling the public what actually happened.

The second group were a bunch of scammers who also lied and then tried to rip me off. They got their money back for the nights they did not stay and nothing else despite trying. I actually launched a claim against her for extra cleaning. After being told by AirBnB that they did not have legitmate cause for demanding a total refund and being told the expectations around resolving issues, plus being faced with my now requesting money from them, they dropped their claim. They also were not allowed to review me (since they left early). If they had, I would have refuted their comments and lodged another complaint about them.

I will gladly give anyone who asks their names. I'm pleased to see that AirBnB is now implementing a star rating system for guests. I have only had those two horrible groups with all other house guests being wonderful. Unfortunately, groups like that make it bad for the good ones, who in my opinion are the majority.