Block User and/or Remove Sent Message (message dusting)

Block User and/or Remove Sent Message (message dusting)

Hello 🙂

How about the power to block users. Upon blocking would like messages sent to person to be hidden. Exclusions would be to previous, current, and pending guests. The messages would still be saved for airbnb staff but the thread would be gone to both guest and host.

and/or  Would like the power to simply unsend messages even if read. 

100% there is some shady stuff going on and it is no longer just scammers. Airbnb's community is being tainted by a plethora of users who have bad intentions but what makes this breed so scary is that in their head the end of Airbnb is a good thing. Unfortunately, you dont know who is who until several messages deep. 

Message dusting has been built into standalone messenger privacy apps and recently part of upgrades of apps like Viber where you can delete messages from either end. The message would be replaced with "deleted by user". It's trending with plenty of precedent to do this. 

Too much power is given to complete strangers to cause problems and use the Airbnb system against it's own users, scammers, and misguided souls. Some of that Airbnb support can fix but much of it they cant. Its not just scammers and the like that need a good block out.  I've had a guest who tried to book 4 times causing me 4 penalties that even when I called in Airbnb could not stop them from doing it for dates nearly a year in advance even when I kindly explained it is not possible for me to set rates so far in advance  because I do not know where in the world I will be. 

What I am looking for is more tools to defend ourselves from unsavory characters.  It'll lessen some of the stress load on support as well. 

4 Comments
Sandra126
Level 10

If you read further down there is already a post about blocking, give it a thumbs up as it is better to compound the issues rather than starting a new one for the same issue. You need a certain number of thumbs ups go get moved into popular!

Steve103
Level 9

great thanks. I just hit it with a thumbs up! I'll try to see about editing this to be just about message dusting. Although would be great if built into the blocking mechanism. 

A block with dusting a message would be needed to cover most of my concerns. 

Thanks Sandra 🙂

Dzmitry0
Level 2
Status changed to: Archived

Bridget26
Level 1

Wish I could block this creepy person from contactics me.  First he asked if his friend could stay with him my rules say only one person. Then he had the nerve to ask if I could give him a discount. And use of my kitchen and then he said he would manage the place. Asking me for my address before he booked the place. Creeped me out. I would never rent to anybody like that.  Wish I can block him.