New comers scorned while seeking advise by Level 7 host

Peta7
Level 10
Johannesburg, South Africa

New comers scorned while seeking advise by Level 7 host

Greetings all,

We are Level 2 Hosts and had an issue with misrepresentation of a guest's profile accompanied by over loading damages caused to our furniture and a concern for other Hosts to fall prey and to suffer similar damages and even possible serious injury to the guest.

On seeking enlightenment from the Community on this platform we were severly scolded by a level 7 host, please refer the following ADVISE in totality that *** had on offer;

"are you for real? what kind of hosting attitude is this? what does your perfect world look like, petites only? honestly, sometimes i'm dumbfounded by what i'm reading on this forum. your tone is belittling and demeaning, your 'trying' to solve a problem by 'banning' entire categories of people instead of looking how to accomodate them. your response to a positive and fair review is shameful, you're scornful about a minor issue. what you continually call a 'dwarf' is obviously a picture of a child, what's your excuse for your profile picture? good lord, you're one host to avoid."

And nothing is further removed from the truth as this prejudice on offer.

We were in shock after discovering our good Queen Size bed and base in a colapsed state and should perhaps have postponed the seeking of advise immediatly; however we only have this platform to turn to but will think twice before seeking enlightment again. (My spouse is totally convinced it is his deseased Mother in Law that came back to Haunt him :-))

Is this the norm for experienced Hosts on AirBnB to treat new commers on this Community platform or is it just someone having a bad day??? Please advise.

Too scarred to say any more, best regards to all, Peta

7 Replies 7
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Peta7  I understand how distressing the response was for you.  I also did not like to see unhelpful response.  I hope you also gained some support from other posters.  Your subsequent postings provided me with more information about furnishing limits that I found helpful.  I had never confronted the same issue.

Your original posting addressed your concern about profile pictures and whether the profile picture was deceptive.  While I prefer clear personal profile pictures, I do know that some people prefer to be representative (like you) or even ironic (like your guest).  

As to your present concern, i.e., the very confrontive and unhelpful response, I think most hosts are helpful and supportive.  However, there have been hosts that are reactive and demeaning.  If this is a pattern of response as opposed to "a bad day", the host can be reported to Air BNB and if the pattern is confirmed, the host will be blocked from participating in the forum.  Perhaps administrators Lizzie or Kirsten will comment on this.

Peta7
Level 10

Hi Linda, 

What a blessing to have you around and thank the good Lord for yourself, the New Host Guru (Andrew) and a few other well natured hosts willing to guide instead of handing out unneeded negative criticism whilst seeking advice.

Perhaps we should have waited a while and not reacted while being under duress, we now realize this was a mistake, suppose we are only human after all 🙂 

We honestly do appreciate your well received and good mentoring efforts, perhaps AirBnB should limit the advice on offer to a selected few experienced, good natured, intelligent and willing mentors like yourself and others mentioned who actually contributed positively?  Thank you once again. All of the best, Peta

@Peta7, I can't speak on behalf of any other commentor, but I have certainly found that in virtually any web forum, discussion of weight and body type is among the things likeliest to trigger strong reactions (akin to issues such as race, religion, sexuality, and politics). That doesn't mean that it's an inappropriate thing to bring up; in your case, the guest's weight and size is relevant, and you were correct to abstain from linking his profile and to use the private rather than public forum. However, I can also see how hurtful it would be for many people to read statements suggesting that "no sane person" would host a large and overweight man. Those aspects of your posting, and the tone, would in many places on the internet incite an immediate flame war in both directions. TBH you got off pretty easy there.

Any time you seek advice - whether from friends or family or strangers on the internet - you're going get some that's helpful, some that's useless, some that makes you feel better, and some that stings (sometimes the latter deserves more consideration than our egoes are willing to give). It's up to you to decide what you'll take on board and what you'll disregard. (In the olden days we had a Forum for New Hosts that was moderated *ahem* by experienced hosts; now we have unmoderated forums with an arbitrary level system that's well worth ignoring). No matter what, though, a basic rule of thumb for the internet is to keep a very thick skin and a strong stomach whenever you wade into the Comments section of absolutely anything.

Peta7
Level 10

Hello again to our "New Host Guru" 🙂 

Your brilliantly written reply is well received and we can only agree with you and really appreciate your advice, especially after considering that while seeking a shoulder to cry on some readers (whose stature could be equated to the content of our preceding post) could be offended and we did apologize for this. We realize that we allowed ourselves to be left wide open and hopefully have learnt from it.

We have also subsequently learned how to "IGNORE" a host in their profile on this forum and this seems to works well for unwanted and unnecessary criticism.

Being from the old school we really do appreciate the need for a mentor when it comes to Hosting and especially Web communication and again want to use this opportunity to thank you for your higly appreciated efforts.

We were employed by a Canadian consulting firm in SA not long ago and the first day at their colossal office park all new employees are teamed up with a "Buddy" to show them around and assist with admin etc. Perhaps this Buddy concept could be a brilliant idea for new Hosts on AirBnB?

Thank you @Peta7, I hope at least some of the discussion was helpful to you and other readers. 

A couple years ago, Airbnb floated the idea of a locally-based Host Mentor program, in which some incentive would be offered to experienced hosts to help newbies learn the website, get clear on city laws, and sharpen their hosting skills. Like most pilot projects of big young tech firms, this one never got off the runway. I'd hazard a guess it's because it would've meant allocating a lot of resources to a project that yields no profits. But also, it's hard to imagine there are that many hosts with the time and interest in training their own competitors for free. 

As that program apparently died, Airbnb shifted to what are effectively localized lobbying groups, in which hosts can volunteer their time to help defend Airbnb's corporate interests against undesirable new regulations. Around the same time, they replaced peer-organized Groups with the format we're using now, which in turn replaced host mentors with neutral, privately-contracted moderators. Looking at all that, I'd say the gravitational pull is away from a "buddy system" and toward something a bit more mechanized - as you'd expect from a company that's more intrinsically about algorithms than about hospitality.

Still, despite everything, there are a lot of people on here as well as on some off-site forums and Facebook groups (where you can post more anonymously) that regularly donate their time to sharing experiences, advice, and unfiltered opinions. We're all humans, it's going to be imperfect and biased and sometimes abrasive, but I've sure learned a lot from reading the whole spectrum of people's perspectives and I'm sure you will too!

Peta7
Level 10

Thank you Andrew, the back ground and insight is much appreciated and this is exactly the type of insight we asked for with our posts. We are sure we are talking on behalf of all new hosts when we say "please do not ever give up on us "newbies" we are trying :-)"

@Peta7

Andrew is a clear sensible and excellent mentor-type!