pre approval

Kate19
Level 2
Wellington, New Zealand

pre approval

Hello all,

If I pre-approve a guest who does NOT have Govt. Id, can that guest make the booking with my pre- approval? 

My listing says prospective guests must have Govt ID, but I was wondering if sending through a pre-approval over-rides such situations?

Thanks in advance

5 Replies 5
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Kate19

If you have ticked the 'Verified ID' option, then the guest will be prompted to finalize their profile verification before the booking can go further. However, the booked days will be held 24h to give guest sufficient time to do this.

What I do in such a case is ask guest to complete verification and then request to book. If I have a good feeling about the guest or really want the booking, only then will I pre-approve them first. 

As long as you respond, you've done enough with an inquiry. You don't NEED to pre-approve or decline. 

Want to get rid of the annoying ticking clock? go to your dashboard and 'dismiss' the notification.

Thanks for your reply.

As it turned out the guest managed to make the instant booking without have Govt. ID (she messaged me first with a question about the car park)   as she is from China, and the agent at the Airbnb help centre told me Chinese citizens did not need Govt. Id, they verify with the use of their credit card.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Jenni18 (or are you @Kate19 on a different profile?) -

It's true, ABB started using different ID methods for a couple (hopefully not to many!!) countries, like Korea (if I remember correctly). So seems China is another one. Apparently has to do with their laws re. digital supplying of govn't papers.

My feeling is that this will eventually spread to all countries and guests  😕

Another reason to make sure one gets the whole name from the guest after booking and does an ID check (and possibly registration)   on arrival as do official hotels and other accommodations.

It's really unfortunate, yet it looks like more and more responsibility is being left up to the host and forcing us to tighten up our own 'border' controls.

Kate19
Level 2
Wellington, New Zealand

no, I am Kate,  I don't know what is going on with Jenni??!!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

sorry @Kate19, since @Jenni18 (no profile pic and also from NZ) posted thanking me for my reply and "As it turned out the guest managed..." as if continuing your issue, I wondered whether you'd made another profile for yourself  😉

Strangeness abounds sometime, esp. when not having had that morning cup o' java...