book keeping methods

Annette102
Level 2
Island Heights, NJ

book keeping methods

Having a discussion with my husband about how to best track our expenses for Airbnb. We have a separate apartment we airbnb. The methods could be anything from a shoebox to collect reciepts, to opening a separate checking account with a debit card or a business credit card. Are there any ideas or suggestions out there?  What works for others...be interested to have other ideas about what works best.

7 Replies 7
Isabel203
Level 10
Halifax, Canada

Great question, @Annette102. I am eager to hear what other people say. For us, we are aiming to keep the whole setup as simple as possible. I am no accountant!

We have one listing (an in-law suite in our home) and we are using the income to build our own travel fund. In our situation, we don't have to collect occupancy, VAT or service taxes, but we do need to track and pay income tax any profit we make. That means we need to track guest fees and expenses (capital costs like the few pieces of furniture we purchased to set up, linens, breakfast and cleaning supplies, cleaners fees, and utilities).

I have a very simple file for receipts and an Excel spreadsheet that tracks incoming and outgoing money. This also allows me to calculate average expenses per booked night and to play around a bit to see what my %profit would look like with different nightly rates, cleaning fees etc., rather than just guessing. I have a specific pocket in my wallet where I collect all my receipts on the run. Every couple weeks, I go through them: I assign a receipt number to each receipt, file it in my "shoebox", and enter it in my spreadsheet. When I get a payout, it also gets entered in the spreadsheet. Come tax time, I just have to look at the total to know what I have to pay taxes on. Easy peasey.

Air BnB Tracker:   2017 Finances                                              

Transaction DateRect# Closing Balance  Expense Amount  Income Amount Expense CategoryExpense Details
   $                   -       
April 25 20171-$                     137.99  $                      137.99 Startuplinens
May 2 20172-$                     160.98  $                        22.99 Startupkitchen table
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

A shoe box is perfect.

Don't forget you conduct your business from home:

claim a percentage of:

home utilities

mobile phone

computer & printer ink

internet charges

washing powder, replacement washing machine etc

If you use the car to collect things for the business, claim a mileage allowance.

and everything else you use for running the business.

Thanks! I like the idea of numbering receipts. I was using a old fashion spread sheet ( yes, paper ledger), then I switch to an app called " expensify". Now I'm thinking of getting a separate credit card, and using that for all expenses. But I agree, I want information that is detailed enough to see my % profits for each host(s).in the end, I guess whatever method you chose, you need to be diligent and not let things back up. 

I am a bookkeeper, and I would recommend having a seperate credit card for your airbnb expenses. This will make your life much easier. Also, you may want to open a seperate checking account for your payouts to be deposited into, and use that debit card only for airbnb expenses. I think the spreadsheet method works fine for tracking expenses. Make sure to keep receipts, even for credit card purchases. You can scan your receipts and store them in google drive or dropbox for extra organization and less clutter! 

All these suggestions are so useful I especially like the scan idea to google drive for receipts. I did open a deposit account for Air BNB and rental income. I didnt consider opening a dedicated debit/CC/visa.

I'd like to do the separate business acct, but I have shared expenses because my airbnb is on the same property as where I live.  Things like detergent, paper towels are shared.  Same with utilities and gardening.  I pay for it all and my accountant only uses a percentage of those expenses towards my write-offs.  

Mandy215
Level 2
Port Douglas, Australia

I HAVE A SPREAD SHEET FOR EACH PROPERTY AND SEPERATE  VISA CARDS FOR EACH PROPETY.