WHAT REFUND IS FAIR TO FFER

Patrik-And-Simona0
Level 2
Prague, Czech Republic

WHAT REFUND IS FAIR TO FFER

Dear community, may I ask for your honest opinion please? There is a water heater at my apartment that needed to be reset by pushing a button once in a day during extremely hot days in order to have hot water (everyone in the building needed to do so). I advised my guests about this after their arrival. After third night I got an early morning message from the guests that they had to restart the heater twice a day, morning and evening and it was unacceptable for them. After this urgent message I insisted that the building owner came to have a look at it and he managed to fix it. The inconvenience for guests was that they had to push a button once in the morning and once in the evening for 2 days. What refund do you consider to be fair to offer? They suggested to be refunded 1 and a half day. Thank you for your help!

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Patrik-And-Simona0 

But then there was hot water available ?

So they only had to push a button once more each day ?

No refund at all.

Thank you for your opinion!

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Patrik0 And Simona the only fair thing is no refund at all. What is wrong with people?  A bottle of wine is what I would offer at max. You are probably going to get a bad review, at least get it without money lost. If they didn't have hot water at all that is a reason for even a full refund, but having to push a button and asking for a refund? That has to be the stupidest reason I have heard for a refund so far. Make sure to write an honest review. 

Thank you for your opinion! I will make sure to write an honest review.

Mark1357
Level 4
Casa de Oro-Mount Helix, CA

I have a similar issue and have had no problems because the water heater issue is a part of my listing so they know before they make the decision to make a reservation.  If yours is not they I'd give them a small discount for the inconvenience. Now, what they want for this minor inconvenience is extremely over the top. 10% discount is fair. So this is not an issue again I'd mention the water issue in your listing.  Good Luck😁

Thank you very much for your opinion!

Patrik-And-Simona0
Level 2
Prague, Czech Republic

They texted the third morning: “The water heater keeps turning off. We have to turn it on and then wait for it to warm up. This is not acceptable. I think that you should refund us some of the rent money.”
I counted it and it was between 30 to 60 seconds after the reset until there was hot water. 

I must admit I did not inform them about this reset thing right after their arrival but the next morning immediately after they texted there was no hot water with instructions how to fix it. I appreciate your opinions very much!