Use of my kitchen

Use of my kitchen

Many of my guests expect they can use my kitchen to cook meals and are offended when I tell them no.
I run a B&B not self catering. I offer breakfast but no other meals. Nowhere in my listing states that they can do this. I now lock my kitchen all the times and have put up signs.
I don't like to do this but don't want guests poking in my private fridge and using my things.
My prices are minimum and I have a good stsrdard of accommodation for my guests.
Why do they assume the house is for their use when they only book a room. I feel my listing is clear.
Do other hosts offer free use of their kitchens?
26 Replies 26
Dawn33
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

@Miranda0, mine is purely for making coffee, getting ice, putting food items in an area of fridge. No cooking/baking.

I have a coffee machine up front, a fridge and a microwave but no cooking, learnt that one the hard way.

David

We've had many people arrive with the expectation they can use our kitchen, even though our listing says that's not allowed. When we were licensed by the city and inspected by the health department, we were told not to serve anything but packaged foods, because we are not trained food handlers. The same goes for the laundry. It is not approved for public use. That's made some things simpler, however, we no longer get the automatic 5 stars, we'd come to expect when we served a sit down, cloth napkin breakfast.

Interesting that you're not allowed to let guests use laundry either! Wow! We don't have gov't in our business so much here.

im not sure if i understand your reply. thanks

Not sure if that's meant for me, but I'll reply. People can argue with "I don't want to," but there is no argument with "I'm not allowed to." Sometimes government all up in our business has it's advantages. Get licensed. Get inspected. It's safer in many ways.

sorry no it wasnt buy thanks for replying. i actually missed a comment above. we also get on the spot inspections for hygiene. All food areas and any areas our guests use are inspected.  this is my first time using this section. Its really good. Thanks again.

In this case, having government in our business has worked out great.  It's more welcoming to say, "We aren't allowed," than "we don't want you to."

Neil25
Level 2
Galway, Ireland

put a read profile throughout before enquiring or booking, Then at check in speak clearly and firm that your kitchen is off limets to guest some of them are cheeky feckers they think there is 24hr checking and all. they forget that they are going to peoples homes and airbnb is just the middleman and dont have much to do with hosts either,your the boss you are essentially working for yourself. I lay the rules doen on my page otherwise im prety much flexiable and dont mind my guest using the fridge to store food etc. But otherwise I just limet  the guest acces to mostly just the bedroom and bathroom go through every setting in your profile/listing settings, update your house rules, turn off instabook etc so you can screen what guests you want to accept. There is loads of safegaurds there its just learning to use them..

Just looked at your listing, you need to say so explicitedly that you do not allow kitchen access in your home description.   Something along the lines of: 

"The kitchen is only to be used our family.  Use of the stove, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and toaster is off-limits.  If you select our addition of an optional breakfast, we will do all the cooking. "  

Good luck.  

I offer a DIY breakfast and point out what guests may consume. Those who take advantage of it always clean up enen though I tell them to use the dishwasher. I offer a lot of choices and even if they do not take advantage my guests appreciate it , mentioning it in reviews. I think that has been a key in my many 5 star reviews. It costs about $1.50 usually less. Only one guest overdid it. Sure, use the laundry. The guests appreciate it. They do one load and my cost might me $1.00. Try asking a guest to give you a 5 star reviw for $2.50

Guests have broken my window cranks twice, because they failed to read the instructions on how to open the window. I shudder to think what they would do to the washer and dryer. To be fair, we have many foreign visitors, and figuring out how things work in a different culture is sometimes difficult. Been there myself.

I offer a DIY breakfast and point out what guests may consume. Those who take advantage of it always clean up enen though I tell them to use the dishwasher. I offer a lot of choices and even if they do not take advantage my guests appreciate it , mentioning it in reviews. I think that has been a key in my many 5 star reviews. It costs about $1.50 usually less. Only one guest overdid it. Sure, use the laundry. The guests appreciate it. They do one load and my cost might be $1.00. Try asking a guest to give you a 5 star reviw for $2.50

Thanks everyone. Have updated my listing and will hope that people will now read it!  I have happily run my B&B for 20 yrs and have never had this issue before last year. Guests that i have told say they expect this when booking through Airbnb. It certainly does not make hosting any easier or enjoyable when we have to deal with difficult guests. I find in the last few years people want low priced accomodations but with very high expectations. Thanks again. Great to get other hosts opinion.