Security deposit

Security deposit

I have taken a booking in my villa for 9 young males, and as such, asked for a substantial security deposit €1500.  The client agreed to paying this amount, and the property listing shows this amount as security/damages deposit.  However, when the client has paid, he has only been requested to pay the balance of the rental, not the security deposit we agreed on.  Why is this. I do not want to rent this villa to 9 young males without this security.

Please advise when the client will be requested to pay the desposit.

thanks

10 Replies 10
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Please read all the help files on the host side to avoid any nasty surprises. 

Guests are not charged the deposit, if there is no damage. 

The refund is not at your discretion but airbnb is deciding the amount, if the guest refuses to pay. 

Wear and tear is not covered and smoke is tricky to claim, as well as extra cleaning. 

Thanks, dont like this, as doesnt feel very secure to me..... all for the guest and not for the owner of the property.

Didnt realise this, why do they even ask for a deposit amount if they dont take it?

Think I will stop using this site, there are others that are much safer.

Thanks for coming back to me though.

Paula

@Paula-Boakes-Fairbrother0 what other, safer sites do you use ? I also don't like security-deposit-thing on Airbnb and would like to use another site, any recommendations? 

tnx in advance

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Paula-Boakes-Fairbrother0,

Typing "deposit" in the "Help" section search box showed up the article below.

How does Airbnb handle security deposits?

The security deposit is not charged at booking time. The guest is charged only if:

1) you make a claim within 48 hours of their checkout or before the next guest checks in, whichever is sooner;

2) all processes for making the claim are followed;

3) Airbnb decides, in their sole discretion, that the claim is valid.

There are very mixed reports on this forum as to which claims are entertained by Airbnb, how easy the process is and how satisfied hosts are with the outcome.

Steve.

Thanks

not sure I like this

might stop using them but thank you for coming back to me.

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Paula-Boakes-Fairbrother0,

Was the security deposit you spoke to the guys about set on your listing at the time of the booking?

I presume that the booking is for El Coto Villas, as that accommodates 10 guests. At the moment this has no set security deposit.

If there was no security deposit set at the time that the booking was made then you won't be able to claim anything through Airbnb's security deposit system.

Steve.

No its not El Coto its our Campo Mijas villa (sleeps 10).

Yes the €1500 deposit was on there at the time of booking.

Bit new to all this.

So we dont actually make the client pay the deposit and then refund on AirBNB?   Not sure I like that.

Thanks for coming back to me

Paula

Hi @Paula-Boakes-Fairbrother0

I can understand why you are nervous about having nine young men staying at your place. Personally I wouldn't have accepted this type of booking.

I think it's important as hosts that we understand how different listing systems work. Airbnb makes it quite clear how its deposit system works. They also have the Airbnb guarantee in addition - although hosts on here do report they have had various successes claiming on this.

If you are staying on this platform do read up on the guides in these forums and on Airbnb's help section.

If you don't intend staying then snooze your listing so you don't get any more bookings.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I agree with @Helen3 except I would delete the listing if you do not wish to use AirBnB.

David
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thanks @David126 I said snooze because she says she has upcoming bookings. I thought you couldn't delete your listing while you still have live bookings?