Rates

Janine75
Level 1
Johannesburg, South Africa

Rates

Good morning

I am honestly not sure what to do here.

I am a 4* Star graded guesthouse with insurance, huge public liability and all the amenities a guest could require.

I just simply cannot lower my rates anymore than I have already.

My B&B rooms go for R1100 per night and include breakfast, for a double R1400.

I have lowered the rate to R600 per night with breakfast extra.

I cannot lower any more than that. 

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Janine75

Lovely place

It's not always about price. Look at how you can differeniate your listing in other ways. Sometimes if you make it too cheap people worry that there is something wrong. How long have you been hosting BTW?

In your case I would put more detail in your descriptions. How far is the nearest airport? Are there amenities in walking distance or is a car necessary.

Look at how you market your place - who is your target market? how are you marketing to them outside of Airbnb. Work with your local tourism office. Get in contact with travel bloggers for your area.

Best of luck.

Sue299
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

Hi all - I have used AirBNB a few times and recommend it to 'everyone'.

I just went in to view options for an upcoming Gold Coast, Australia visit, and the pricing is ridiculous. The average is $189 per night for this region, some were over $200. The thing is.... resorts are less. Why has pricing gone through the roof, and higher than commercial rates. Comparing Like for Like, without fail, AirBNB failed. I want to support this platform (and be able to authentically recommend it), but at the moment, very, very disappointed. I will be booking commercial resort accommodation this time.
Very disappointed. Sue

I can't speak to that area of the world however here in Las Vegas  the hotel or resorts  are hiding  a lot of fees. Like a daily resort fee of 20 -30, 18 -30 to park, 12 percent hotel tax, sales tax and not even a drink of water or cup of coffee for free.  Not to mention  a host to give tips to save on tourist activities and restaurant savings. I just think these two things can rarely  be compared side by side. If a host is truly hosting  they are there to help you like no minimum  wage hotel staff would  be. That being  said in San Diego,  California which we visit  offend we find hotels  are better for us for short stays and bnb for longer. We all have to ultimately  do what is best for us. Where supply is low many hosts raises prices because  they can.  So with cleaning  fees it is only cheaper  on loge stays. I'm Not Sure AIRBNBN should be cheaper. I try to look at what you provide  and can you at least make some money  hosting.  I know personally  I make very little  profit  for a lot of work. However, we have meet some great people. 

@Janine75

Like mentioned by other hosts, low rates do not equal good reviews. From a guest point-of-view, I give good reviews when I feel like I got a good deal - clean rooms, good service, and exceed expectations! 

Of course this is just my personal preference, but I would probably stay at a R1100 per night place if it seemed worth it than a R600 per night place that I feel would probably not meet MY minimum expectations. If possible, try asking guests what would it take to get a 5-star review from them. You probably won't be able to accomodate or reflect all requests, but it will give you an idea where to start. Good luck~! 

I tried to see if I would get any enquiries at all by lowering my rates considerably. Absolutely no response whatsoever.

I know Cotswold Gardens is worth the rates I charge. I have over 200 reviews on Tripadvisor and Certificates of Excellence for the last eleven years.

I don't think my establishment is for the Air  B&B market, it's most peculiar not getting one single enquiry.

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Janine75 I was able to find only 1 of your 3 listings -  the first one. It came up first on the first page as "New". New listings are given a bump up in the beginning so they show higher in the search. Maybe the other 2 aren't showing up because they are all named the same? I think you will need to give them different names - or keep the same names but add #1, #2 & #3 to distinguish them. They are all really lovely! It looks like you have a lot of competition in your area, so it will be harder for you to get bookings in the beginning but once you get some great reviews, and if keep your listings updated regularly (just making small changes bumps them up in the search), I think you should do very well. Good luck & welcome to Airbnb! - Karen