Power Outage

Lisa990
Level 4
Omaha, NE

Power Outage

I have a guest right now who is experiencing a power outage at my listing due to a storm. They notified me and I checked with the electric company and they are working on it. It’s been 10 hours since the outage and 5 hours since my guest notified me. They are there for only 2 nights. Do I owe them anything if the power is on within a certain amount of time? They could just be out and about anyhow. 

3 Replies 3
Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

Hi  you know I don’t see it as you owing them anything. It’s certainly not your fault of course and nothing that you can do about it. But it is a major inconvenience and bummer for their trip, huh? I would see it as maybe something nice to do for them — either discount their affected night(s) or if you’re close take over lots of electric candles, ice, and maybe a meal card to a local restaurant since the kitchen is affected. If I were the guest I wouldn’t really expect it,  it I would see it as a very hospitable and fair thing if you reached out in nice ways to make their trip happier. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I agree with Jess-- focus on the guest's experience. I was in the same situation last year; I offered a no-penalty cancellation, which they did not take, then gave them lanterns and candles, and a partial refund. Didn't cost me much and they really appreciated it and gave me a great review.

Ben605
Level 2
Barryton, MI

Hi, Folks.  It finally happened this weekend.  The power went out on Thursday just as I was welcoming my Airbnb guests.  I figured out how to refund their fee and put them up in a hotel for the night. With still no power at the cabin, they left for home the next morning.  They were very understanding.  What I'm wondering is, if this should happen again, how do I open up those remaining dates (say Friday and Saturday) so that others can book if the power returns?  I'd appreciate any feedback.  Thanks.  Ben in Michigan.