charging for additional day

Answered!
Kim866
Level 7
Puryear, TN

charging for additional day

I am new to this so I may just be missing how to do this---I have a reservation for 4 days, the guest contacted me asking if she arrived the night before could she stay.  As it was not booked that night and I am just getting started I agreed and blocked the night.  This is apparently if they feel like driving on through.  How do I charge for this without knowing in advance if they will be there and without the process adding the cleaning fee again?  In hind sight, I probably should have done something different, but I just wasn't sure how to handle the request.  Any advice would be appreciated!

1 Best Answer
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Your guest will have to amend the booking from their end, this will trigger a 'reservation amendment request' which will come to you as an email (to decline or accept). That's it. 

However, this is based on them putting their money where their mouth is and actually booking. Otherwise, if you want to be flexible, they can do this on the day of arrival.

You'll need to unblock the night in both situations so they can physically book. 

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Your guest will have to amend the booking from their end, this will trigger a 'reservation amendment request' which will come to you as an email (to decline or accept). That's it. 

However, this is based on them putting their money where their mouth is and actually booking. Otherwise, if you want to be flexible, they can do this on the day of arrival.

You'll need to unblock the night in both situations so they can physically book. 

@Kim866 - Put in a change request the reservation to include that extra night.  That way they will pay for it now as a part of the total and it's not a second reservation where they pay the additional costs of the cleaning fee.  You can personally choose to refund that night if they do not get there by using the Resolution Center if that's what you want to do. 

IMO, it's generally a bad practice to "hold" nights for guests as you "could" get a confirmed reservation instead of a "maybe".  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/50/i-m-a-host--how-do-i-make-a-change-to-a-confirmed-reservation

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/165/how-do-i-refund-my-guest

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Kim866@Gordon0 Is correct, that the guest can make the change themselves, and you then accept the change, or not.

If however, they don’t let you know, they arrived early, or they are unsure how to change the reservation, you can always do it yourself, but once again the date would need to be unblocked. You go into the details of their reservation. Scroll down and click on change reservation. Then click on change dates. Then make the date change to include the new earlier day, then when correct, send the details through to the guest. I wouldn’t be keen to leave it to chance for them to do the booking change. I’d want to clarify it and make the change. As @Alice-and-Jeff0 stated, you can always offer them a refund if they don’t get there that night...

B175A7B8-906B-4195-8785-2A5E597FD8A8.jpeg
78C4799D-9209-49D2-B23B-4D7667BBEF81.jpeg31E7A5FA-C46D-4094-BE00-CBA6935C9551.jpeg