I am about to lose a rental because of technical difficulties with AirBNB

Melissa208
Level 1
Milton, MA

I am about to lose a rental because of technical difficulties with AirBNB

I have somebody who wants to check in today. I sent her an offer yesterday early afternoon. 

In my listing, I have a verification requirement. My future guest wasn't comfortable scanning in her license, which I understand, so I turned that off for her. She couldn't reserve, so we waited 12 hours, which is when this was supposed to expire.

She tried to book again but she cannot because AirBNB continues to request her license. I can't seem to cancel or change anything from my end and I can't send a new request because it says my calendar is blocked with the verification request. 

I am so frustrated. I don't know how to get around this and there seems to be no AirBNB phone number in sight. I'm about to lose this rental because she needs to check in today.

3 Replies 3

As the host you cannot do anything.  The guest needs to withdraw her request and send a new request for the dates.  When she sent her original request it attaches all your requirements at the time.  By turning off the function now only works for FUTURE reservations, not current ones. You could also decline her reservation and require her to resubmit. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/90/how-do-i-cancel-a-reservation-request

You had this requirement for a reason, why would you allow a single guest to relax that for you?  Your choice, of course, but think about why you wanted this in the first place.  A guest unwilling to upload their information may have something to hide.  Just a thought.  Just so you know, any other guest requesting from you during this time will also not be held to the higher security standard.   

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/453/is-providing-identification-to-airbnb-secure

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1237/how-does-providing-identification-on-airbnb-work

If you use the Search function here in the forums, look for the Community Help guide to contacting Airbnb.  

So, after figuring out how to chat, here is what I found out:

1. This actually had nothing to do with the ID verification requirement on my listing.
  2. The requirement is new from AirBNB. 
  3. This is what the chat agent said: "Eventually all users will need to become fully verified before booking. This guest is required at this time and this will be rolling out to everyone soon."
  4. Becoming fully verified means that guests will need to scan in their licenses. I understand why people would be uncomfortable with this. While I need to show an ID at a hotel, it isn't scanned in. There is no potential security breach. Personally, I get letters at least monthly from stores or online institutions where there have been security breaches. The chances of this happening to AirBNB are as high as any other place.
  5. According to the chat agent, guests can contact AirBNB with some sort of alternative verification. I don't know what that is.
  6. I did lose this listing. The potential guest refused to scan her license in. I don't blame her. I wouldn't have scanned mine in either. I'm not sure about the alternative verification, but she either didn't want to be bothered at that point, or wasn't comfortable with it either.
Bertil2
Level 1
Sint Maarten, Sint Maarten

This is really frustrating...i'm in a similar situation as the one who made the reservation and can't get my ID scanned. Eventually Airbnb Cancelled my reservation and made a refund to my credit card as i wan't able to scan my ID on time. 

Airbnb as I understand is doing whats necessary to protect all involved, but without technical support or a customer service representative who can help along the way with what seems to be an issue for many guests, this causes a rather frustrating booking experience for guests. I have to now wait 3 weeks for the funds to be deposited back to my account. What they should do, is not debit your credit card until the ID verification has gone through, as I am now waiting for funds to reach back before i can make another booking. Highly frustrated and don't know how to move on at this point with airbnb. I can't make another booking and risk going through the same issue. feeling totally lost!