How do I incentivise guests to leave reviews?

Answered!
Emily570
Level 2
Oxford, United Kingdom

How do I incentivise guests to leave reviews?

Hi Community!

i was wondering if anyone has any tips to incentivise guests to leave reviews after they’ve checked out?

We’ve probably hosted over 70 trips but only have 19 reviews. I always make sure to leave a review for my guests but how can I pursuade them to do the same?

My listing is in quite a popular area and so I’m competing with similar listings with 50+ reviews even though we are cheaper and offer more facilities. Around 70% of my guests are from Asia so maybe it’s a language barrier thing?

Can an I offer a discount if they review and then choose to book again? 

What have people done done which works? 

Huge thanks!

Emily 

1 Best Answer
John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Emily570, when I send my pre-checkout message, I say "Thank you for your stay with us! We hope you had a 5-star experience and look forward to reading your review." 

This seems to have worked for us so far and we have over a 90% review rate up to this point. 

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Meg102
Level 1
Burbank, CA

Hi Emily,

I have never asked for a review and always get them from all my guests. I believe it's because I check my guests in so I meet them and am pretty personable but as well, leave them  to their privacy when I sense that from them. Also, the one thing every guests mentions about my place is that it is spotless so I think when there is something extraordinary about your place people tend to like to comment about that.

You could also write the guest a thank you for staying message and ask them to let you know if there is anything they think you could improve upon (I do that) and then in the same note you could ask for a positive review if they enjoyed their stay with you. Those are just my thoughts; hope they are helpful.

Cheers,

Meg 

Emily570
Level 2
Oxford, United Kingdom

Hi Meg, Thanks so much for your reply. I too greet all my guests personally and show them around and have always received excellent feedback for cleanliness and friendliness which is lovely. 

I do do like your idea of sending a thank you message after they check out. I think that’s a nice touch and good to hear any other feedback. 

Thanks again 🙂 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Emily570  You might be correct about guests that leave reviews and those that don't.  I have over 95% of guests providing reviews.  Most guests stay 3-4 nights so I have a chance to get to know them a bit.  You might have younger guests than I do.  @Meg102 suggestion is a good one.  

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Emily570

Maybe a farmed picture note on the coffee table that says something like “If you enjoyed my “Lovely Double Room” please leave me a review on Airbnb following your stay.”

Like Meg, I always send a thank you message after check out wishing them a safe trip home and looking forward to receiving their review.

Out of curiosity, what is your “Trips Reviewed” percentage under your superhost stats?

Jean121
Level 2
St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands

One day after Check in I ask guests if all is ok and if anything needs to be addressed.

When I give Check out information, I thank them and say I hope you will leave a public positive review and private feedback on how we can be better. Guests have often told me it’s their first airbnb experience and appreciate the guidelines. I also give clean up tips( wash dishes, bag trash and deposit it in bin, strip bed and put towels and linens by washer and Check for personal belongings)

It has been a huge help for guests ( I have been told) 

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Emily570, when I send my pre-checkout message, I say "Thank you for your stay with us! We hope you had a 5-star experience and look forward to reading your review." 

This seems to have worked for us so far and we have over a 90% review rate up to this point. 

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

I have a standard little "good-bye talk" that I give when my guests are leaving.  I say, "Thanks so much.  You've been excellent Airbnb guests.  May I ask a big favor?  Could you please leave me a review on Airbnb?  Airbnb will send you a link to remind you.  There's no rush, just when you get a moment.  We hosts depend on your reviews".   It works every time.  I go above and beyond for my guests, and they're more than happy to be given a way to reciprocate by leaving a review.  Note that I never ask for a "positive review" or a "5 star review"--I think that's tacky--but I do ask for a review because I'm almost certain I'll get a good one.  The only time I don't ask for a review is on the rare occasion when I just don't "click" with the guest or I suspect something may have happened during their stay that wasn't 100%, but mostly I feel confident in asking.  So far almost all of my guests have left reviews, and they've all been 5 stars.  

Hi Michael

Do you send these message privately or through on Airbnb? I had my second guests and still waiting feedback from them.  

Jennifer940
Level 2
Royal Oak, MI

I don't physically greet my guests (unless that is their preference) and have gotten reviews for 99 of 100 trips- without asking for reviews. So the answer must be more complicated than the personal touch or the quality of the experience. Maybe it is a cultural difference with your particular guests or maybe they are generally new to Airbnb. If I were in your position, I would say, "If you feel comfortable leaving a positive review, it would be appreciated." I find that most guests appreciate kind, concise communication.  

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Emily570

How to incentivise guests into leaving a review?

Simples!......do nit write them a review until they write one first.....they will soon get the hint!

Yes, I’ve started doing that too. I’m conscious of not intruding into the stays of guests but it does get a tad frustrating when communication prior to and during the stay is almost non existent and then we’re asked to rate communication. My adult kids remind me that some people just want a quiet stay and don’t want to communicate. Most guests are great. 
Equally it’s frustrating when you stay at Airbnb properties and you bother to give feedback but receive nothing.......

Lisa-Elle0
Level 2
Austin, TX

I write reviews of guests the same day they leave after I confirm all is right in the house.  Then I write the guest review before I even start cleaning.

After the review is written, I send them a thank you message for taking great care of my home and let them know that I just left them an excellent review on the platform.

I do not directly ask them to do the same, but it still motivates them to write.

I used to have a guest book in the house, but I removed it as folks would leave long reviews there, but less so on the platform. 

Another thing I try to do is offer early check in and late check out whenever possible.  I use an app lock, so I essentially change their access with the extra time and then send them a message letting them know it’s been adjusted if they want to take advantage of it.   It takes away the back and forth of asking them if they need it and then changing it. This way they appreciate the perk whether they can use it or not. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

We also check in our guests personally but we are off-site hosts so I am surprised that about 70% of our guests leave a review.

You said you are in a popular area - why is it popular? Is there any restaurant / bar / club / street festival / park / beach....  where your guests could go and have fun? If so, find it on internet , print and leave them in a map or clipboard like we do.

If you could find some city guides, maps, brochures with events provide that too.

Maybe some books about your town or area ?

We also have pockets hanging on the wall where we sorted all kinds of leaflets for restaurants, rentals (cars, bikes etc..) , excursions, museums, self service loundry etc....

Then all the informations about renting a car  or a driver / public garages / info about street parking etc...

All the informations we provide are often mentioned in our reviews because our guests couldn't find a fraction of it by themselves during their average 2 nights stay.  We do it because we know if they have a good time - they will be happy and when they are happy they leave good reviews 🙂

Emily570
Level 2
Oxford, United Kingdom

Thanks everyone, I’ve implemented some of these great tips- sending a thank you message after check out and asking if they had a good stay if they could leave a review as we value feedback. This week 3/3 of my guests have left reviews so thanks for the advice 🙂

I was chatting to one of our guests from China and she said she doesn’t tend to leave reviews as the process takes too long on AirBnb so maybe that’s a factor?

Our home is near a huge designer retail outlet, hence our majority of guests are from overseas. We’ve put brochures in the room

and a map detailing the easiest way to walk there. All great little touches!

Thanks again!

Emily