Guests "hosted" and event at our Lake House, in violation of our No Events Rule.

Answered!
Robert1203
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

Guests "hosted" and event at our Lake House, in violation of our No Events Rule.

We have a small lake cottage close with very close neighbors.  We rented to 6 guests in town for a graduation. 
Saturday the texts came in from people around the lake.  
"Sounds like they are playing drinking games"
"They are loud! Yelling, laughing and dropping the F-Bomb left and right"
"There are 15 or 20 of them in the yard."  (Cottage holds six)
"They have parked 7 or 8 cars all up and down the road." (We allow 2 cars)
"There are more people staying there than you think there are"

And indeed, when I visited today, it looks like every bed was slept in.  The beds were also moved in each room to maximise floor space,as there likely were more people in sleeping there.  All the towels were used - including the back up and storage from the closets.  Every paper towel roll (3) had been used.  I photograpged all the booze in the trash.  (The most for a 3 night booking ever!)
Our rules are "no parties or events" and they admit to having a BBQ for 15 people.  (I was told that it was  more likely 20 to 25)
The spring lawn was crushed flat.  It will likely need work.

There was some inside flooding issue that caused a downstairs smoke detector to fill with water and go off.  I called an Emergency Electrician to pull it off the celing.
We had rented to six, yet the wear and tear is large after this weekend.  I will have to hire an addional cleaner.
I'm new to AirBnB.  What are my options?
Can I charge him for the electrician, the extra people, the landscaping, the additional cleaner?
What should I do?
Thanks!!!

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Robert1203 

This sounds awful, but why didn't you or your co-host go down to the listing when your neighbours first flagged this to you and ask Airbnb to cancel the booking, when you heard from neighbours they were breaking your house rules and disturbing your neighbours, rather than let them carry on partying?

If you are going to list remotely, vet your guests, make sure you get them to acknowledge in writing that they aren't to have more guests than have booked at the premises, have CCTV so you monitor who is on the premises.

In terms of the current guests, you need to take photo/video evidence, put in a claim for the damages and leave these guests an honest review 1-2 stars for communications and cleanliness and thumbs down so they can't IB with other hosts .

I would also apologise to your neighbours and let them know what measures you are putting in place to minimise this happening again.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Robert1203 

you have to file the damage claim before your next guest arrives or within 14 days ( I think)

1. take pictures and just to make sure, video of all the damage, mess, bottles, towels used... etc ... so you can proof your claim
  2. get the estimates and receipts from your repairman, cleaners and all additional costs you have
  3. if anything is damaged then find a receipt for this item or a link to the same product online to proof how old was it and how much cost the replacement
  4. if you charge for additional guests after x guests then you should ask for this as well. They addmited they had 9 more guests  so charge them.
  5. use "send or request" link and ask for the money
  6. your guest can accept, decline or ignore it
  7. if he declines or ignores your request then you can involve Airbnb to mediate after 72 hours.

Good luck

PS

please give them an honest review to warn future hosts, and of course a low rating for cleanliness, house rules, communication... 

Airbnb is usually siding with a guest, the guest is always right, etc.... and this is a result, Airbnb becomes a synonym for a " party house" 😞

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Robert1203 

This sounds awful, but why didn't you or your co-host go down to the listing when your neighbours first flagged this to you and ask Airbnb to cancel the booking, when you heard from neighbours they were breaking your house rules and disturbing your neighbours, rather than let them carry on partying?

If you are going to list remotely, vet your guests, make sure you get them to acknowledge in writing that they aren't to have more guests than have booked at the premises, have CCTV so you monitor who is on the premises.

In terms of the current guests, you need to take photo/video evidence, put in a claim for the damages and leave these guests an honest review 1-2 stars for communications and cleanliness and thumbs down so they can't IB with other hosts .

I would also apologise to your neighbours and let them know what measures you are putting in place to minimise this happening again.