Guests dishonest about number of people

Answered!
Mampiti0
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

Guests dishonest about number of people

I pre-approved a certain guest based on their profile and host reviews for 8 people, however the booking was confimed  by  different  person for only 1 guest. I have requested confirmation of the number of guests and have not had a response.  I suspect that 8 guest will show up insted of 1 guest.  Will Airbnb penalise me for cancelling the booking?

1 Best Answer
Mampiti0
Level 2

Thank you Quincy. This is valuable advice. like the other hosts who are frustrated by this very convoluted and user-Unfriendly way of getting help - I am contemplating quitting Airbnb regrettably.🤷🏽‍♀️

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10

@Mampiti0 yes, you will be penalized if *you* cancel the booking.

That is why, if you want to cancel, please contact Airbnb support and explain the situation. Then ask Airbnb to either help contact the guest or to cancel the booking without penalty.

Before you do that, though, please send a very clear message to the guest, saying that they need to confirm the number of guests. Explain that currently the reservation is for only one person, so you will only allow that one specific person to stay in your property. Anyone else will be forbidden from entering.

If they want to have more than that single person stay with you, they need to tell you in advance how many are coming and who they are. Also tell them the price will be adjusted for the number of guests.

Finally, inform them that if they do not respond in some way that you may cancel the reservation.

*Then* contact Airbnb (if they do not respond).

Mampiti0
Level 2

Thank you for the advice Matthew. I have asked them repeatedly, So how do I contact Airbnb help - there is no email for Airbnb anywhere. That is why I ended up at community

@Mampiti0   Look on the reservation and you should have a phone number for the guests. Call them and follow  @Matthew285  suggestions re: only people on the reservation will have access to the listing etc.  

Do not cancel the reservation yourself,  get Airbnb to do it.  If cancel it your end you will be penalized,  the dates blocked, and possibly fined $100 or whatever the fine is now.

@Mampiti0 to contact Airbnb:

On your Help page, near the bottom right is a "Contact us" button.
Or you can use this link: https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact_us

Once you are on the "Contact us" page, choose "Its something else"

This will give you the choice to either exchange messages with AirBnB or to speak to someone on the phone.
(Using the "Contact us" by phone gives you the option to have them call you, so you don't have to wait on hold.)

If you don't mind waiting on the phone:

South Africa: +1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)
United States +1-415-800-5959

Hi this recently happened to me. the reservation was for a couple and they showed up with 3 children. You can call them at  (844) 234-2500 and they will contact the the guest and try to work things out on your behalf

Thanks for the advice!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Mampiti0,

Welcome to the Community Center!

I'm sorry to hear about the unannounced guests. I was able to find a guide that explains all possible ways to contact Airbnb.

Click here to view. 

Please let me know how it goes. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Mampiti0
Level 2

Thank you Quincy. This is valuable advice. like the other hosts who are frustrated by this very convoluted and user-Unfriendly way of getting help - I am contemplating quitting Airbnb regrettably.🤷🏽‍♀️
Mampiti0
Level 2

Thank you all for your support. Got a response from Airbnb at last! and i hope for a positive outcome.

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

Send them a note through the message board that, since they have not replied to your request to state the number of people that will be staying, the listing will be monitored and any additional guests not confirmed will be treated as trespassers and evicted, and the balance of the reservation will be cancelled.