Gift Card purchasing error

Laura714
Level 1
New York, NY

Gift Card purchasing error

Whenever I try to buy a gift card for someone, I keep getting the following error message:

"You are not eligible to purchase a gift card at this time. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Has this happened to anyone, and do you know how to resolve it?

Thanks.

18 Replies 18
Dana63
Level 1
Indianapolis, IN

Yes, I just received this message too.  This gift card program has been disappointing from the beginning 

Same.  I contacted help and wonder if I will hear back.  This is nuts.  My daughter is abroad and I was hoping to send a gift across the miles.  Last resort is to Venmo some money!  haha.  Not so exciting....but I see no option after reading how many have tried.

Same here. Called customer service and they were no help...What an absolutely terrible customer experience. Definitely going to have a tough time retaining my business. 

Daniel637
Level 1
Minnesota, United States

Does anyone have any work arounds to this problem?

Cameron29
Level 1
San Jose, CA

Still receiving this message. What are some alternatives to Airbnb that also have gift cards? 

edit: I tried both with and without ad blockers / trackers, still no luck. Also attempted with chrome and firefox (latest versions as of this date). 

Betty78
Level 1
Kailua-Kona, HI

I've been trying the last two weeks to purchase a gift card and receive the same message. The "help" person responded to ask what type of card I was using. Tried three different ones to no avail... Frustrating!

Rachel268
Level 2
Bridgeton, NJ

airbnb is losing it! i can't even use my two gift cards. they've lost my booking and they have lost me as a host....superhost for 8 years!

Mike395
Level 1
Shippensburg, PA

I'm currently getting the same error. It's annoying and now I'm fearful that if I do purchase it, the gift card will not be able to be redeemed.

Joanie11
Level 1
Denver, CO

One last suggestion....they sell airbnb gift cards at grocery stores here.  Perhaps mail a plastic card?

Jennifer678
Level 1
San Jose, CA

same problem here...and no easy way to even contact them for help.

super unsatisfied.

Jeff266
Level 1
Eagle, ID

This happened to me today... "

• You are not eligible to purchase a gift card at this time. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

3rd time over the last 6 months that i've tried it.  I'm heading over to competition to see if they've figured this out...

I just purchased through amazon.  Thank you Amazon for always being there.. 😉

Lauren288
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

So I am trying to purchase a gift card for colleague and use my work card and it just said "sent" never asked me for a credit card or anything - just took a picture of my driver's license. I don't want this on my personal Airbnb card it is so weird you don't get a pay step function.

Who has a phone number for support?

Jacob129
Level 1
Santa Cruz, CA

I'm seeing this "not eligible" error as well. It's sad to see that this issue has been persisting for a year now. I tried 5 times with two credit cards, from two different computers. A support agent told me to go into my "account settings" then "security" and to "log out of my other sessions". Aparently, every time I logged into the AirBnB website, it kept me logged in to that browser? I don't know. 

I followed the advice of the support agent, logged out of all other sessions, and tried again. Still no luck. I've given up at this point, just going to buy a different gift. 

Alison287
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Gift card purchasing error solved (sort of) tonight by calling 415/800-5959 customer service.  On hold for 25 minutes and then another 25 to process my transactions manually.  Very helpful CS rep informed me that there is a max $ purchase per day, so I have to call back tomorrow to complete my transactions.  Frustrating, but at least my issue was finally handled by a very courteous rep.