Damages

Damages

Bed destroyed Chair destroyed Bed damaged Hi everyone. I just had a guest call me and say he was leaving.  He and his girlfriend got it to a fight. When I arrived at the house. The clearly was smoking. And there dogs chewed my furniture pretty bad. What suggestions?  Thank you

2 Replies 2
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

File a claim through the Resolution Center including pictures and receipts.

Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

@Ryan121

So what would you like to do about it? I am asking in a positive and helpful way..... if it was a friend of yours that stayed in your house, with his girlfriend and dog - and you found all this damage..... what would you do?

I assume you would mention it to him. As in right away! Tell him politely but firmly that the damage wasn't part of the rental agreement and that he will be offering you some repair compensation. Immediately.

This isn't really an issue for Airbnb staff - but perhaps some other hosts can give you examples of similar and how they handled it.

If your house rules are clear and deal with pet damage etc. and you have recent photos of the furniture before it was damaged, and you have estimates to repair the damage, and you have written admission from the guest that he was responsible for the damage and is willing to pay you for it - then go ahead and get some money from him.

If he has already left the property you should immediately get in contact with him - message him or telephone him (you had his phone number on the confirmation email Airbnb sent you). Keep at it.

If he has left the rental early - you may think of keeping the rental paid as compensation for the damage. But beware - if he contacts Airbnb and tells them he has left - they may refund him the balance immediately without even asking you. So you run the risk of not being backed up by Airbnb because you didn't contact them immediately to let them know your guest checked out early - and caused damage. And certainly mention this in the review you will leave for him so other hosts will be aware of his lack of consideration (and poor pet management).

The main point is that this is your house and your responsibility. Airbnb do not have a massive slush fund of cash ready to hand out to every host who has a problem or reports damage - but they are there to back you up if there are big issues you cannot handle on your own.

If you have more info or details you want to share through the post that would be good. And I certainly would like to know how you get on and wish you well with your future hosting.

Best Wishes.