Best way to set price for two guests?

Lizzy2
Level 2
London, GB

Best way to set price for two guests?

Hello everyone!

I currently have a single room listed with no option for an extra person.

However I am going to change the room to a double bedroom.

I am trying to figure out the best way to set the price for this that will allow for either 1 or 2 people to stay.

Should I set one price that I would be happy for either 1 or 2 people to stay at? Or should I set a price that I would be happy for 1 person to stay at, and then switch on the "price for extra guest" option for those who are two people travelling together?

I am worried if I set the price for 1 guest with an extra guest option to cover 2 travellers, that people either might not notice that they have to select this option, or they might deliberately not select it so as to try and stay as two people for the price of one. So I was considering just setting a price somewhere between the two for the room as a whole, whether there are 1 or 2 guests, to make it simpler. But being a solo traveller myself, I don't want to charge over the odds to people travelling alone!

Your advice and experience will be appreciated!

With thanks,

Lizzy

4 Replies 4
Yvonne53
Level 2
Carmichael, CA

I vote to set the same price for one or two guests. 

Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Lizzy2, for my own listing, the price is the same, whether for one person or two. It keeps things simple.

It's a nice bonus for a traveling pair, and at the same time it's still a quite reasonable and competitive price for a single traveller.

If you go this route, make it clear in your description.

Otherwise, indicate a fee that is for one person, and add the 2nd-person price per night in the 'extra guest' box. 

You could state in the description as well that a person booking for two people needs to state how many people will be in the reservation. Generally, they would indicate this in their 'request to book' message, but you could also clarify things in your response to the request. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Lizzy2

Since I have somewhat more work in preparing for 2 as well as more towels to wash as well as double the usage of utilities and water I charge a base fee for 1 guest and an extra person fee for the 2nd guest.

But then my bed is a kind of European mini Queen size and I adapt the bedding to 1 or two people or add a separate floor mattress if desired. 

My listing's max. is 2 guests.

Extra charge after 1st guest.

I don't want to unfairly spread my total of extra utility and other expenses on many of the single-guest bookings I have, but every listing is different.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

People don't deliberately choose 1 guest if 2 are staying (particularly if it is in your own home as it is pretty clear when they arrive!). However - after hosting for a year, it is clear that it's not obvious to all newcomers to AirBnB that they need to select the number of guests. We have had it happen on 4 occasions - including today. You simply point it out to them, or accept the booking at that price - if you wish as they thought it was a lower rate.

The default number of guests is set to 1 - which is a pity. If it was set to zero then this would not happen as guests would have to physically choose a number of guests before proceeding with the booking.