partys

Brian8
Level 1
Fishers, IN

partys

I have had a few guests that want to book for 1 or 2 people, and then invite several people over for partys and even wedding rehersal dinners.  Is there a process for upcharging for holding a party?  It puts me at a disadvantage when someone books for a couple of guests to spend the night and then has 15 people int he home all day and night for a party.  

5 Replies 5
Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

If you'd prefer guests didn't use the place for events, then you need to make this clear in your listing description.  Even though you haven't ticked the box "Suitable for Events" most guests don't realise that the absence of this as an 'Amenity' means that you don't allow parties.  I simply state that the place isn't suitable for parties and then re-state it in the House Rules section.  If the guest then arrives and indicates that they intend hosting an event at the listing it should come as no surprise to them that you tell them it isn't permitted.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

I just checked out your listing and you've marked it as 'Suitable for Events'.  If this is the case, then you need to be very clear about what kind of 'Event' you're willing to tolerate and, if so, what additional cost (if any) will apply.  Perhaps you could state that guests wishing to use the place to hold an event need to discuss it with you before booking and that you will send them an extra fee request through the Resolution Centre which they must accept.

Margaret0
Level 8
Dublin, Ireland

Brian

Your listing looks very like the kind of place people would love to have their friends over to with the home movie theatre and the grill. Even though you list it as private rooms you seem to be in effect giving people the whole place to themselves which would entice them to have people over. You arent charging a lot for this

Make clear what they can and cannot do. Can they have friends over ? If so how many and how frequently. 

I have a friend who rents a whole place, a large barn. She has had to put a limit on number of people arriving because of wear and tear and complaints from the neighbours

Margaret

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

I agree with the others...since you marked your listing as "Suitable for Events" people are likely to book it so they can have events.

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

Be very careful about "partys"  (ahem --- it's spelled "parties"). 

Hosts permitting guests to have parties in their listing, is one of the main arguments that many cities are using, to shut down Airbnb in their city, or prohibit short term rentals in their city, town or region.  As responsible hosts, we want to make sure that we dont' rent out our properties in ways that cause problems for our neighbors, as doing that can cause problems boomeranging back not only for us, but quite plausibly, for all the other hosts in our city, when our one out of control party is now the excuse the city is using to prohibit all short term rentals in our area.  

So if you want to do parties at your listing, make sure that this will not cause problems for your neighbors.  Having a wild party which causes noise and disturbance for a 3 block radius, involves police being called to your property, and/or results in massive damages which put you in the local newspaper, is not going to be good for you or for other hosts in your area.  

See my post on this issue, here:

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Responsible-Hosting/The-story-of-how-one-person-creates-short-term-r...