Pay Out

Alex1
Level 1
Santa Monica, California, United States

Pay Out

So I have a property that I mange for a house owner, I collect 20% for hosting the place checking the Airbnb guest in. 

We have not setup any agreements where cancelations fall into place.

I have place setup on a strict polict and I have a guest that did not stay at the location and the house owner was not inconvienced at all. Do I still have to pay out 80% of what I have collected from the guest to the house owner.

4 Replies 4
Alex1
Level 1
Santa Monica, California, United States

The Guest Canceled, which pays out 50%

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

This question is not exactly for us, as other hosts, or for Airbnb, it's really a question for you and the property owner you work for.  You two need to come up with an agreement on how to mutually handle cancellations.  

Nevertheless, some things can be pointed out.  If I was the property owner in question, I would be quite upset if I discovered that my property manager was making off with a full 50% of any given booking, when the deal was that he should be getting 20%.  In other words, ask yourself why you should profit and get paid more than twice your usual 20% fee, (50% = 2.5 X 20%) when a guest cancels!!  Yes, it's true the property owner was not "inconvenienced" by the  guest staying there, but I would think the property owner would be inconvenienced by a loss of anticipated income.  Property owners go into this business because they expect certain income, they need a certain amount of bookings (which often they rely on the property manager to help get) and cancellations eat into that -- all the more so if the property manager is expecting to keep the entire payment from any cancellation!  

In fact, rather than you getting to keep the whole 50% if the guest cancels, a better argument could be made for the property owner getting to keep the whole 50% and you getting paid nothing.  The reservation was only made becuase the property owner had a property - HIS/HER asset is what brought in the money, not yours.  Also, you as the property manager have almost no work to do if a guest cancels -- you do have the online communication part to do, but you aren't checking anyone in, you aren't checking anyone out, you aren't cleaning a place, and you aren't attending to guest needs during a stay.  So what I am wondering is, since you are doing virtually no work for a cancelled reservation, why do you think you should get paid for one?  

Still, this is ultimately for you and your property owner to decide between yourselves.  I am just suggesting what some of his/her responses to you might be, if you asked this question of that individual.  

Fiona2
Level 7
Pasadena, CA

You should set up something where the two of you agree what happens in the event of a cancellation. What about a case where Airbnb pays out nothing because it fell under Extenuating Circumstances but you put several hours into setting the reservation up? Should you be out 100% on your time? In this case I would say that you should still collect your 20% (of the 50%) and the property owner should collect the rest but you need to go over the different scenarios. If you are questioning paying out on this it's clearly more of a business relationship than a personal relationship so be more businesslike and draft an agreement covering when you earn and when you don't.

UN-World--Ben--Bienvenid0
Level 1
Phnom Penh, Cambodia

R-SEND; PAY OUT,

for Masatoshi- Mizuno, he checked out already but i cannot collect payment it arrived already,  the Western Union  cambodial decline to release) payment due to  reason>    (middle name ) is not included in the name of recepient.

thank you air bnb

pls expedite to resend. again (U$92.00)

from  Bienvenido Abilende ( UN World)