my guest has broken his leg during his stay and wants to sue me

Amittai0
Level 1
Ben Ami, Israel

my guest has broken his leg during his stay and wants to sue me

hi there

my guest has broken his leg during his stay at our place. he wants to sue me' or airbnb. what should i do about it? do you have any ideas?

13 Replies 13

I guess he is saying your house/furniture/doors/slippery floor made him fall and break a leg?

This is very unfortunate. I maybe should have sue'd the city of London when at one of their streets I trippled and fell down breaking my elbow. How come I didn't think of it?:/ 

You could have sued the city of London .

Back to the OP; I have household insurance that would cover this sort of claim; I took the public liability out as soon as I started hosting.

Just out if interest why is he saying you're at fault? What caused him to break his leg ?
Amittai0
Level 1
Ben Ami, Israel

thank you for your comments

my guest says the stairs in my house were not built the right way. the space between them is too big. 

and i dont have any kind of insurance, for my home

kind of weird that he goes so far, is he ok? is it a huge break? he will be speding years in court and that might end up more painful than his leg, 

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Say nothing and do nothing and put nothing in writing about this - until his lawyer sends an official letter. Then you may need to engage legal help.

Ama0
Level 2
Houston, TX

You know I will contact Airbnb and ask them if they have any kind of insurance available for this issue !
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Amittai0, does your guest not have travel/health insurance? This type of thing would surely be covered.

In my own listing, one of the House Rules is that guests must have travel insurance that covers illness or accidents on or off the premises. 

thank you. i will check that

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

I would be very curious to find out if the million dollar policy so heavily promoted by Airbnb as a perk to hosting covers something like this. 

Jude

Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Jude7, I believe the (in)famous AirBnB million-dollar policy is intended for things like natural disasters. It's more of a marketing ploy. 

The Search box will throw up a number of related threads. 

Hosts and guests are expected to have their own household/health/travel insurance policies.

Thanks, @Donna15! I think I've lost count of the number of hosts I've met (me included!) who believe we're covered by that million dollar policy.  In fact, the person who turned me on to hosting, a Superhost himself, told me that was the most important feature of Airbnb for him.  This individual is a pretty savvy million dollar businessman, and I guess I trusted him to read the fine print for me. Shame on me! 😉

Just curious - has anyone made a claim, and collected, based on this policy?

Jude

that is exactly what i was wondering about... i couldn't find anything about my sort of problem in what airbnb write...

Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

The Airbnb host guarantee doesn't cover personal injury or natural disasters. What it covers is criminal damage caused by a guest, in the event the host does not have suitable insurance policy.