exact location revealing?

Answered!
Sergiu0
Level 1
Romania

exact location revealing?

Hello!

A potential guest asks me to reveal the exact address of the apartment i offer for hosting... can i do that?

Thanks!

1 Best Answer

My home is a single family home. Showing the location within 100 meters would show my exact location. That's the size of my yard! If you don't trust that the host knows the distance from their property to public transport, don't rent from that host.

Revealing the exact location is dangerous. Period. If you need to know the exact location, get a hotel. I'm tired of people on here making excuses for needing to know the exact location of a property that has a private owner. If you don't like Airbnb's reasons for not revealing the exact location before booking, then get a hotel.

As a property owner AND someone who has used Airbnb as a renter all over the world, I stand by my reason that revealing the exact location to people who have not booked is dangerous. I do not, as a renter, want the owner of the property giving out the exact location of the place where I am staying to someone, anyone, who hasn't booked the property. That person could come there while I'm staying there and do anything.

People who need the exact location, for any reason, should book hotels. If you  have mobility issues and can't walk very far, stay in a hotel that is equipped to handle those issues. Sounds harsh, but it is true. Do you want, as a renter, complete strangers who haven't put up any money to find this location, to know exactly where that property with unsuspecting renters who potentially have a lot of cash is? Who may be women staying alone? I don't. 

View Best Answer in original post

180 Replies 180

That may sound reasonable, but consider this. What if I am trying to book a place for a special trip with my wife-and she has been dreaming of an oceanfront room with a view of the water. Now let's say, as with thousands of listings in such places, there is no pictures that are obviously of the views from the building. It could be two blocks away for all I know, and that wouldn't work. This could apply to any number of specific spots when a person wants something for a special reason. If I ask, and the host won't tell me, I'll go to a site where they do.

I can say that I'd like to know the exact address to drive by the place to check it out for my parents and make sure it's not a dump (pictures can be misleading). 

Also, where I am there are a lot of streams and green areas. This means the difference of a block could add a mile to the walk/drive. 

Just out of curiosity, what is the reasoning behind not revealing the address? 

Personal security most hosts are opening up their personal home. ..would you like everyone to know where your home is allowing anyone yo check it out !!!!

Go to s hotel with 34 hour concierge and security staff

Bob141
Level 2
Cottonwood Heights, UT

I'm not a host so I was wondering:  My understanding is that a host can review information about a potential guest prior to accepting their request.  What kind of information is available?  I gather their are reviews posted by previous hosts.  Can't remember what information AirBnB asked of me during their screening process.  Do they do criminal background checks? 

Deborah0 - "I always wonder why some guests feel a need to know the "EXACT address" in advance"

Well Deborah0, as someone new to Airbnb, my reason is I don't want to buy something before I know what I am getting. Usually I use "Google Street View" to check out the neighborhood, if I see trash and grafitti on the walls then I don't stay at a hotel. Not knowing the exact location is buying something sight unseen. Would you buy something on Amazon with major details about the product unanswered?

Now if I could reserve, get the address, then cancel I probably would but that too much effort.

For what purpose would you want full address? Strange question- some of us are  anxious or neurologically different ie in my case autism- we like to know where we are going so we can look it up and feel safe-if for instance they only give you the name of the road  and postcode but not the  house or flat how is one to  get there? on the contrary if after booking they still wont't give the house number one has to question that

Alan56
Level 1
Keilor, Australia

I have a booking with Airbnb and the host won't reveal the exact address with week to go before we arrive?

Maybe the host was just busy with the more near guest . 

I don't think you need to panic about it . Just ask the host to send you the address earlier. 

Decent people will give you the exact address before you sign up for the place. I would not rent from anybody who won't reveal their location.

Then unfortunately You could not stay with me...approx location and and Google earth should give you a good idea but why should I give you my address. ..you could be anyone .Use your maps and do done research and ask host questions that they are willing to share with a complete stranget

Ad s host I reveal exact location after confirmed and paid reservation and si should others ...but not before 

Sean63
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

I thought AirBnb (either the site or the app) reveals the exact address to guests once they have booked. I currently found this thread because a guest is asking me to text her the address, but if she's navigating the app to send me these messages, should she be able to see my address?

That is my exact question. I thought the guest could see the exact address once they booked, so why are they asking for it? 

Sure - it gets revealed after they've booked, but then the guest has no re-course to cancel without a $50 service charge (AirBNB's service fees aren't refundable).  If they find out the address is two blocks away from where they were expecting, in an unsafe block full of garbage, they're either out $50 or stuck with a place they really don't want to stay.

Actually Howard, is some cases it's worse than that. I've just booked an apartment in Mexico City.  All of the apartments in the area we are looking have "strict" cancellation policies. This means we lose 50% of our booking price (for our full 7 days!) if we don't like where it's located. Now that we've booked the place we see it's on a crappy street that seems more commercial than residential, where we (2 women) will feel less comfortable walking back to the apartment. It's also a few streets further away than we had thought/hoped it would be from the nicer areas of the neighbourhood.  So much for leafy streets!

Now I'm thinking of writing off the money and looking for another place, but I may end up with the same problem again.