What to do when someone doesn't provide any information

Lisa121
Level 1
Berkeley, CA

What to do when someone doesn't provide any information

I had someone request a booking the other day without providing any other information than "tourism". I thought maybe he just didn't understand that it was customary to introduce oneself at least a little more than that, so I asked him who he was traveling with, his expected arrival time, etc. before accepting the booking. He didn't respond, and the reservation request Expired.

My question is, do I need to be diligent in declining something like that before it expires? Because I got a message from Airbnb saying "If you consistently don’t respond within 24 hours your listing’s search placement may be negatively impacted and we may temporarily turn off your listing." I thought that since I did reply to him, that it made sense to wait for his response rather than declining it.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Thank you!

3 Replies 3
Debra19
Level 1
Pembroke, Canada

Feel free to carry on any conversation, especially to feel comfortable. 

DO NOT feel any pressure from Airbnb. We Hosts pay the Bills. 

Which makes us clients of Airbnb.  Do not feel intimidated. 

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

In that situation I've sent a follow-up message saying "Airbnb asks that I respond with a firm yes or no to your reservation request within 24 hours. I would need some additional information from you before confirming a reservation, so at this point I'll have to decline. If you'd like to continue the conversation, please send another request."

When it's just an inquiry (no countdown timer) I just let the lack of response stand on its own.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

It is the way ABB reconfigured the system, just asks for reason for your visit.

Does not bother me, can see it might others.

David