Instant Host- Penalty free cancellation

Sarah1428
Level 1
Manassas, VA

Instant Host- Penalty free cancellation

Hi there- 

I took my account off of Instant Book because there was a cancellation penalty on my account (message on my profile says I cancelled reservation). Then I got multiple directions on Airbnb to put my account back on Instant Book - they specifically stated cancelllations were penalty free. Now I need to cancel a reservation and they are saying a $100 penalty will apply to next payout. Why? I was convinced by the website with specific messaging saying if I switch back to Instant Book NO penalties would apply. I'm sorry to cancel this reservation but she booked 7 days in advance and I'm giving her 6 days notice.

Thanks!

Sarah

3 Replies 3
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

Sara NEVER cancel a booking yourself, ALWAYS call AirBnB and have them do it. You can call or direct message AirbnbHelp on twitter and plead your case and they may reverse the fines. 

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Sooo Sarah, this would be your second cancellation as you already have one in May.

Its very, very, very, very, very bad to cancel a guests booking, it makes airbnb and every other host look like a nincompoop.

Cancellations are only penalty free under certain conditions.

how-do-penalty-free-cancellations-work-for-instant-book-hosts

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Yes, agreed. You shouldn't be cancelling guests unless except in dire circumstances. It just isn't good customer service. We all have to put up with it being inconvenient sometimes so please think carefully before cancelling your guests. You can block dates ahead of time if you need to. If you can't be there, have a friend or co-host let your guest in.