Unhappy guest – please advise course of action

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Unhappy guest – please advise course of action

My current guest is unhappy with absolutely everything.  Bathroom is moldy, lightbulbs are out,  hard for her to use the door code. I offered immediately to send a cleaning person out and change the lightbulbs but she said I could absolutely not enter the space. I brought the lightbulbs and left them in the garage,  changed the door code to more convenient one for her.  She just now called and said that both wine openers are broken  she would like me to bring one over. I apologized and explained that I’m a little far away and there is a  political march on the main traffic artery. There is a Walgreens literally around the corner and it is a beautiful day. She said that I purposefully conveniently disappeared and this is the last straw and she would like to leave. I said yes, absolutely, please leave I’ll give you a full refund. She then said she is not leaving. I guess she didn’t expect me to agree so easily.  Reservation is only for two nights. I did insist saying that I would like for her to have a wonderful vacation and she’s clearly not happy and again I will give a full refund.  She reiterated that she will absolutely not leave and if I cancel her, she will refuse to leave the premises until her reservation is up. I’m trying to decide if I should call Airbnb and get them involved or just not escalate the situation any further and let her steam.  I’m getting negative feedback regardless.  

52 Replies 52
Krystal16
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Inna19; well she sounds pleasant, not.  You can certainly call Airbnb for suggestions however unless she is breaking your house rules, I don't see any reason you can get her to leave.  Airbnb might disagree with me, but I don't see you winning on this one, of course my own personal opinion. 

Your best bet, is let her steam be polite as possible and pray for her check out time to come.  Negative review is surely coming your way.  Also, review what she has said and go and take a look at your unit to see where she is right.  I had one lovely guest write in her review the home was not suitable for children, why, because when she opened the door to the bedrooms it made to much noise and I needed to WD40 the hinges, the hinges that are 16 months old.  However some of the things she complained about were actually true, some of my kitchen utensils were broken, and previous guests just washed them and put them away in the drawers, didn't even bother to tell me.  

As well as being prepared for a nasty review you should prepare how you are going to respond to that nasty review, without coming off as being nasty yourself.  I have seen many hosts post comments back to reviews that are more personal then matter of fact.  It is in the end essentially a business, try to keep emotions out of your responses, but be sure to mention you gave her the option to check out.  I think alot of people who complain like this are also looking for a discount but to stay in the unit, which isn't beneficial in anyway because you will lose money and still get a bad review.

Good Luck

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Or it could be a sign of some psychotic illness that she is sitting breaking corkscrews and switching out light bulbs. I would go check on the property if at all possible - meeting in person is so much better than msgs. All may not be well...

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Normally I think messages are your enemy. Things are easily misunderstood. However with a case of crazy who knows what will set her off- I am taller than her, I am shorter than her, my feet are too big, wrong choice of outfit...

Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

It seems very odd to me that she did not want your cleaner to enter the premises.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Noel63 Yes, I agree. I assume because there is nothing there. She is either really crabby or is trying to get a discount

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Inna22 

I would contact AirBNB to give them a heads up that all is not well in @Inna22-land. Eventually this woman will call them and ask for her money back even though she refused to cancel. AirBNB will be able to review your message thread with her to see that you offered to let her go away and she refused.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Inna22  I am guessing the reason she doesn't want you or the cleaners in is she's way over your guest limit. I would make sure to document everything in the AirBnB system. You offering this and that etc. and her declining it. You are never gonna win with this one. So at this point, I would be polite but firm to her demands and not go out of your way anymore for her. You're getting a bad review anyway. I would also be preemptive in contacting AirBnB about the issues. 

For Superhosts (they will verify you):

North America: +1-647-945-9627 +1.888.326.5753

@Letti0 I did not even think of over the limit trick!

She is owed no refund but you can stop responding to her complaints since it's just fueling her. You are responsible for reasomable requests but not all of this. Also, report her to Airbnb. It does sound as if she is suffering from mental illness (not everyone is aware they are ill). If not she's very needy. Look for the other host post about a guest who was asking a bazillion questions before she would book and we all told him to NOT approve her as a guest because of what would be next.

But you do need to be polite but constructive so other hosts will know. "Better suited for a hotel" is sufficient. Gives us clues without you being hurtful.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Inna22 ,

don't call airbnb concerning this matter as You won't get anywhere with them.

I suggest You send a message to Your guest through airbnb:

"Dear guest, as You told me You have encountered some minor problems in my place. I have offered to fix the issues, but You have denied entry. I also offered You to leave the listing and get a full refund, but You refused. Pls note there will be no discounts at all to Your rental price after check out.

Talking about  check out, pls mind the regulations as stipulated in the airbnb TOS:

"8.2.2 You agree to leave the Accommodation no later than the checkout time that the Host specifies in the Listing or such other time as mutually agreed upon between you and the Host. If you stay past the agreed upon checkout time without the Host's consent (“Overstay”), you no longer have a license to stay in the Accommodation and the Host is entitled to make you leave in a manner consistent with applicable law. In addition, you agree to pay, if requested by the Host, for each twenty-four (24) hour period (or any portion thereof) that you Overstay, an additional nightly fee of up to two (2) times the average nightly Listing Fee originally paid by you to cover the inconvenience suffered by the Host, plus all applicable Guest Fees, Taxes, and any legal expenses incurred by the Host to make you leave (collectively, "Overstay Fees")".

Check out is at 11 am. I will personally be there at 11am with my cleaning crew, they charge $50 an hour.

Have a nice day."

Then You go there at 10am and watch how many people are leaving the place and if they have luggage. I'm sure You have a camera.

@Ute42   Been there, done that AirBnB  gave me $50 under this issue I lost a documented  same day booking on HA/VRBO. For this issue worth over $440 and I spent $400 extra on the cleaning alone. 

Hi @Letti0 ,

the message I propose is more about threatening the guest.

What airbnb does in the end, we all don't know.

Has ABB ever enforced 8.2.2. for a host?

Hi @Kenneth12 ,

@Letti0  just wrote that she received 50 USD under these terms.