Rob134
Level 2
St. Petersburg, FL

Thoughts on Minimum night bookings and length of instant booking availability--

Issues;

Minimum nightly booking amounts

Instant Booking

Special Offer

As a long time 13 year "traditional"-as in vrbo, flipkey owner/manager but newer to airbnb, I will say I am impressed with how much business they can do..Definitely worth having, but there are 2 areas where they could improve if they could tweak their system, and so I throw this open to conversation and hope airbnb can do something about this as well as look forward to hearing thoughts from fellow owner/renters.

First of all, our condos are the full condo, ( so not a room etc) and the nightly minimum I set of 3 is fine, but here are the areas (and this is also why I dont use the instant booking feature)  

Minimum nightly booking setting-I have mine set at 3, but when I have a 2 night gap it is not "visible" to the potential guest as the system will ask for 3 nights. It would be wonderful if the system could be taught  to allow the "gaps" to be available, while maintaining the normal 3 nt minimum.

Instant bookings-Love the idea, but again this allows gaps. and during what should be 100% primetime, you may have considerable loss of nights booked by that feature, for example someone books 7/1-7/4, then 7/6-7/10, then 7/11-7/17..When I do it myself I always try to shift my guests and many times they can. Their dates are not so much etched in stone, and that is a huge benefit to your overall business. Again could the system be tweaked to make date requests "Butt up" to an existing departure or arrival date, or make sure there is a 3 nt gap?

I am certain it could be done, but whether the collective will is in agreement that this is a good thing is uncertain. So that is why I dont use instant booking when we get to the busy times. Off season (as in our case from mid August to end February I am okay with gaps as they are not 100% booked..

Also on the instant booking it is a 3 month, 6 month block..Effective date start and end date would be much better in my opinion.

Special Offer--I just had this happen, so it struck me as odd. I had a guest who I was willing to give a discount to, but I could not offer that to her as she already had an existing reservation request. I totally do not understand that. How is it that you cannot offer s special offer to the proverbial "bird in the hand" 

Thoughts? Would love to hear from AIRBNB braian trust on this as well as fellow full time/full unit owners...

Thanks,

Rob

RobsCondos 

4 Replies 4
Rob134
Level 2
St. Petersburg, FL

pardon my typos, *Brain trust of Airbnb and *a instead of s...

I am not satisfied withe a rule of airbnb! When I do not accept, do not deny and also do not want to make a new offer, cause I can't by the information I've got from the costumer, BUT I ANSWER AND ASK BY MYSELF to make a proper price - we have a huge court outside of BErlin , it would not be ok to ask for 5 people a daily price of 400 € , but for 12 it's to low.. this is just a simple example, there are mor detailled and difficult ones... We can host up to 40 people! So it should be possible to talk first! SO: I answer within 24 hours, but airbnb does not count that! On the other hand, I have a travelling job and I am no slave to airbnb - the would not be able to pay me ;-))) - I want more than 24 hours.. Best Jan

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hi, yes unfortunately Airbnb has some set regulations that are not always easy to navigate around and require some out of the box thinking.

To answer two issues -

Case of receiving a booking request and when you wish to offer a Special Offer - you can do one of two things:

1)

Message the guest that the system only allows you to issue a Special Offer replying to a non-committal INQUIRY, but not with a real booking REQUEST and for this reason you'll decline their request with the standard pricing and submit a Special Offer with the new and reduced price for her to book.

2)

Or you could tell them you will accept the request as is, and then make a change to the reservation for them to accept.

The 24h time to accept/decline a request or pre-approve/decline an inquiry can be quite short if there are still questions open and there are several time zones. But even that is easy enough. I always tell them I'm penalized by Airbnb if I don't decide within 24h which is why I will decline if I haven't heard back from them, but they can easily re-submit their request upon messaging their answers.

Has worked every time for me.

@Rob134 @Jan-Tilman0

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

@Rob134We can't have it all. Much as we want to. We all want to be booked 30 out of 30 days but unless you have a full time staff and multiple properties it just doesn't work that way. Case in point you mentioned you have a 3 day minimum but sometimes that leaves you with a 2 day gap. Well you can adjust those specific days left open to allow for a 2 day reservation. If your spaces fill up 30 days out with 3 day reservations then at the beginning of the new month just go through your calendar and change your settings to a minimum of 2 day reservations. So many people book last minute that it sounds like it would work in your situation. You'd have to do a lot of quick turns and not have much room for error, but if this is a full time job for you then it sounds like it'd be worth it.

In regards to the special offer the question wasn't exactly clear...are you stating you received a reservation request and you cannot send them a special offer in return with a discounted price? If that is your issue then why not accept the reservation request and then send them a special offer? Id much prefer to bargain with someone that has already booked than someone who hasn't.

Cheers.