Sustainability: How to reduce your listing's water consumption?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Sustainability: How to reduce your listing's water consumption?

Saving water 1.jpg

Hello,

The way water is managed differs dramatically around the world, but even though our oceans make up about 70% of the earth, we actually have a shortage of fresh water. With Airbnb’s in 191+ countries, we as a community can play a large part in helping to conserve the amount we use and save money at the same time! Win win!

You might ask though, how can I prevent my guests from using excessive amounts of water? Most of the time, little things can all play a part, from using reused water to keep your garden looking nice and fresh (and welcoming to guests), to handy devices in your toilet system.

Do you have any water saving tools in your home or tips for conserving it?

Thanks,
Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

18 Replies 18
John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Lizzie We are on a well in a very dry part of the world - Colorado, so it's important to conserve water in the region. 

We also have an older water heater, which we were planning to replace when we bought the place, but decided to wait a bit. We have since included in our listing that, "Being a cabin, water in general and hot water are not unlimited. We have never had a problem with hot water with moderate showers, but you may want to consided this for larger groups.  Please help us conserve water in this arid region".  

So far, it seems to have worked out, and we have honestly never had a problem with showers ourselves or for most guests.  We did have one couple, who left private feedback that they weren't able to take long showers because of the limited water. But, I have tested it and one can let the shower run hot for at least 15 minutes before it begins to turn cool.

I'm not sure if my inclusion of this point in the listing and in the need-to-know message I send are helpful, but so far, so good. 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@LizzieI have resorted to passive methods: a low-flow shower head, dual flush toilet, and low-flow taps. When we redid the bathroom in the spring, we chose more efficient options. We also use a rain barrel for outdoor watering, but we have had very limited rain this year, so that doesn't always work. 

I find it can be tricky to get people to conserve, especially on vacation. I think that if you're in an arid region, like @John1080, or a remote area that relies on a cistern and/or a septic tank, a sign or message regarding conservation can be fine. In my area, it's probably going to cause unhappy guests. 

@Lizzie

I live in a high rise apartment so water shortage is probably not something people think about when they are in Seoul (plus our summers can get really really humid~~~), but nonetheless, South Korea in general experiences draughts and water shortages regularly, especially at farms/agricultural regions. 

Like @Alexandra316 we've also adopted many passive methods. I've put up short & simple "reminders" in the bathroom asking guests to help us conserve water/electricity. We include in our listing description about having a solar panel, that we recycle and try to be an energy-efficient home so I think this also helps set the tone for the behavior we expect from guests. In the end, I'd like to think that the guests staying with us are conscientious people who are willing to make the effort to conserve resources because it's the right thing to do. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm afraid that Airbnb hasn't helped in this a great deal on the basis that the offering is 'sold' as a hotel alternative where the guest is No. 1, at the detrement of all else, and is always right (even if they're not).

Consider a normal area that isn't suffering any sort of drought (atm), ie. London, and asking guests to limit their water useage. You'd have to be very lucky not to get an iffy review and, as we all know, many are petrified of that bad review that sees us slip down the list. 

While I have the relevant gadgets to conserve water, I'm not going to risky an iffy review by calling out a guest for wasting water.

While I hate water (and electric) waste, it's not like Airbnb are going to take my side, is it, if I plead with the guest to stop?

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Lizzie I’ve noted many hotels these days with  a green feel have those  nicely written printed notes that say thank you for conserving water and what they have in place to help with this .

I do have one about electricity as I have solar 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Best way is to make guests carry their own water to the listing, @Lizzie. You should see how conservation-minded that makes them. 😉

We are not monsters, however. They do get showers at the house, and we have had low-flow fixtures for years here to save our well from running dry. No one has needed a lecture.

One thing that's slightly related. Our guests are nice people who sometimes leave bottled water at the treehouse for the next guest. Since I understand but don't like to encourage the use of commercial bottled water,  when cleaning between guests I add the water to the container that is down there already of tap water for washing, etc., and take the plastic bottles to the house for recycling. I am passively bossy. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I simply explain to my guests that the city only sends water down the line to my area (as well as most areas here) every 2 or 3 nights, it doesn't just flow constantly 24/7. I have holding tanks on the roof that the water gets pumped up to, and the water then flows into the house from there. So 20 minute showers are not an option (why anyone needs more than a 5-10 minute shower to get clean, even if washing long hair and shaving one's legs, is beyond me) and it's not necessary to flush the toilet every time you pee (The guest has their own private bathroom, so it's not like they're having to use a toilet with someone else's urine sitting in the bowl), and try to remember not to just leave the water running when brushing teeth or washing dishes.

Unfortunately can't use low-flow shower heads and such, as the water here has a lot of sand and grit in it and the screens in those things plug up within a few days.

My guests tend to be environmentally aware people, and none have had a problem with water conservation.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Lizzie, this is an issue for me. We DO have water shortages and water is very expensive here. I have put in my house rules that showers should be 5 minutes maximum, I have reiterated this in the folder in my guest room, I have 'water-wise' stickers in the shower and above the bathroom sink and a 4-minute hour-glass timer in the shower that I got from the water department. Sadly, none of this seems to make a difference and most of my guests ignore it 😞 They still love having their two 10-minute plus showers per day...

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

(Shhh, don't tell my guests, but I have set my settings on the heater to just warm, and Lo & Behold, my guests are taking short showers now).

Yes, a sign helps (Ria's suggestion) and low-flow showerhead definitely. Having them carry their own water (per Lawrence's suggestion) would definitley get the point across. 😉

@Fred13  I have a small water heater- 38 liters. My guests couldn't take 20 minute hot showers even if they wanted to. And since all my house water comes out of the big black holding tank on the roof, no one even wants a hot shower from May- Oct, when the temps are hot and humid, so the heater is actually shut off during that time. It's plenty warm enough right out of the cold water faucet. 

Very slick. I have an in-line heater, I have found if set to just warm water, they tend to take shorter showers.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Kath9@Fred13@Sarah977@Lawrene0@Ria16@John1080@Alexandra316@Jessica-and-Henry0@Gordon0

This is fascinating to hear and it sounds like it is something that you all think about quite a lot in your home.

A few years ago, I stayed in a place on the edge of Yosemite national park, California and at that point the supply of water was really low, due to there not being much ice fall in the winter and a lack of rain. I think where I was staying there was a 7 minute shower maximum in place. I really didn't mind and as you say Sarah there really isn't much of a need to stay in the shower for a really long time. (Plus, it was clear there was a water shortage from looking around at the landscape). I think when you travel you want to fit in with customs of the area and so often at the moment things like water consumption is part of this. 

It is nice to hear many of your leave little signs indicating about this, do you also include a little more details on this in your welcome/guests books if you have them? 

Also, do you have any appliances in your home that you consciously have to save water such as a shower rather than a bath or a dishwasher rather than handwashing or perhaps you have changed your washing routine to help with water conservation etc.?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

I recently read that Cape Town actually came close to running out of water completely! So, the tourism industry was forced to think of creative ways to save water. Many hotels, Airbnbs etc. actually removed the plug of the bath tub. If a guest would ask for one, the management/host would give it upon request only (along with an explanation of the dire situation). I thought it was pretty creative!

Leonie3
Level 7
Cape Town, South Africa

@Kate0 I am from Cape Town and the water situstion is still dire. I also removed the plug from my bathtub. Mosts guests are very understanding about the situation. I have however had a few guests who simply ignore the situation and my almost plea for water saving. They deverve the terrible reviews they then get. We provide buckets in the showers and most guests use this to flush the toilet.