Have you ever borrowed any tips or tricks?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Have you ever borrowed any tips or tricks?

Have you ever borrowed any tips or tricks.jpg

Hello everyone,

If you are like me, I'm always on the lookout for tips and tricks that I can borrow or make my own in some way or another. I would say in general that most of us are looking for suggestions to improve ourselves, be it for everyday things, such as the use of our PC, or as here in the Community Center for hosting. 

How is it with you, especially for hosting? Have you ever 'borrowed' some hospitality tips and tricks?

Looking forward to hearing from you, and of course the tips and tricks you borrowed! 🙂

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

33 Replies 33
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi Lizzie,

1. I have a number of standard comments saved for enquires, pre arrivals, 1st day/day after check- ins (All Okay?) and reviews... I can then personalise them to meet the group cohort,; saves me heaps of time during Peak season as I work outside Airbnb.

2. I clean quickly, even if I do not have an immediate turnaround. Better to be ready than caught out if a request comes through. Also easier to just rewash the floors etc then have mould or bacteria growing on sides of shower tiles or table & chairs etc from body sweat. (Gotta love the tropics)

3.  I use slightly damp cloths or mops over floors /rugs etc to pick up long hair. This is before I vacuum. If long hair is definitely going to be an issue, having latex gloves on helps due to the friction and static.

4. Check every drawer and shelf after checkout in case items have been left behind. Pretty embarrassing if they were in situ from a previous guest...

5. ALWAYS clean under beds, as no one wants surprises...

6. A white light will show dirt, dust and marks, so a small LED torch is helpful for a final “bench/surface” check. 

7. Spring clean something, anything when you have a little extra time, as it keeps things looking tip top. (Have time, clean the light or fan fittings etc)

7. The body and mind relates to soothing aromas, so ensure the space has literally NO smell, or a satisfying aromatherapy response. Stay away from polarised scents such as strong cooking smells such as garlic, or oil scent patchouli, or other diffused oils that are not safe for pregnant women or high blood pressure. You never know! If you are going to use them, ensure you know what you are using. Choose scents that also match your geographic location for part of the memory trigger .... 

I’ll stop now.... lol

Cathie

Cathie, absolutely fantastic tips!!

I have also noticed that I kept on sending the same messages to guests, and then saved them as "saved messages" so I can just click on it, and if needed, adapt a little, instead of writing the same things over and over.

Also, a clean space has a nice smell. A dirty one has a smell you cannot disguise with fragances, however much you try. So just scrub the place. As you said, a strong light, the kind painters use for fixing the surfaces before painting, is great. Actually, the spring sunshine is equally effective 🙂 every spring I am surpised how much dust there is as the sun shines into the rooms horizontally, revealing every stain and speck of dust...

I borrowed the swing from my childhood. Why this unusual pleasure? Because the slow rocking was very relaxing and made me forget the long, lonely days. So I tied the swing to a sturdy beam inside the house, and I can assure you that my guests (not just the kids, the adults too) elbowed each other to jump on it.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I borrowed a listing trick from Jeet, a host in India. By using quotes from reviews under your photos, you can say nice things without being the one who says them. However, these days I have been told that most users see it via the app, and the photo text doesn't show. Never mind, I still like it!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I borrowed that from you too @Sandra!

I also got some good cleaning tips from other hosts on the forums. Most recently, I followed a suggestion to use washing up liquid to remove stains on coloured/delicate fabrics. It worked a treat on some greasy stains on a silk bedspread that I had been unable to get out with anything else.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

And I borrowed that from you, @Sandra126

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I have borrowed great tips on this community. It is a great place to share experience and ideas.

Moreover, I like reading books and articles where people share ideias and experiences. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie @Sandra126 @Lawrene0 @Emily352 @J-Renato0

I have a restock cupboard in the cottage to save me numerous trips back and forth into the house when doing a turnaround. You can't store fruit and a few other things like that, and I have a hidden cubby for toilet paper and durables! But, I used to have guests pilfer what ever they found in that re-stock cupboard.

I invented a handy trick to stop that happening.

I have a roll of sticky labels and everything I put into that cupboard, I put a label over the use by date and I write on it....."Out of date, bin on next garbage night"!

That has stopped the losses!

Doesn't work on soap however, I have to secure that elsewhere with the toilet paper.

Cheers......Rob

Put a little latch on the cupboard and use a small combination travel luggage lock. It works a treat. Only family knows the three numeral combination.

Jim-and-Marcia0
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Borrowed the idea from another local host to ask guests to collect any used towels and put them in the bathtub at the end of their stay. This collects all the towels in one spot and in a place that won't be damaged by their dampness.  A simple one line in the checkout directions does it:  Used towels - put in the bathtub.

I have to say I don't get the wet towels left in the bathtub or shower deal. I want wet towels hung up, not laying in a wet pile starting to mildew.

Same sort of climate here as yours Sarah. I get in and grab them off the hooks ASAP. Less smells and mould. Plus if something is really yuk, it is usually still separated from the other laundry. 

As soon as the guests check out, we are there to collect the pile of used towels and start the wash. No time to mildew. Our guests use the towel bars and towel hooks in the bathroom during their stay, so most of the used towels are already dry by the time a guest moves them to the tub upon check out.

Basta usare un portabiancheria in bagno per gli asciugamani usati e sopratutto...lavarli subito !