Stolen kitchen items

Lesley143
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Stolen kitchen items

We have just completed our first 4 bookings. We used a key safe and a local lady to clean in France. We have discovered that the fist people may have taken the kettle, toaster, all pos and pans, cutlery, utensils and bin from kitchen! Anyone else had this happen?? Lesley 

15 Replies 15
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

First of all, @Lesley143, your home is so charming!  What a great experience for a family traveling in that area of France.  Theft is extremely difficult to prove and thus difficult to claim.  However, if you have a way to prove the theft by one guest prior to another guest arriving, you should be sure to have sufficient security deposit to cover expected loss.

You are letting strangers into your lovely home in another country, so if you think this may be a frequent occurance, you need to find a way to manage the guest check out process that takes stock of all items.  Can the cleaning person do that for you?  Have a check list of items and have the cleaner check off the items, preferably while the guest is in process of leaving.

Another direction would be to stock the kitchen with items that have little monetary expenditure and incorporate theft into your rate.  You can find many of the items at thrift store or second hand stores without losing the charm of your place. 

Hi Linda Thanks for your reply. We will do that it’s just  we thought 15 year old cutlery and pots and pans were ok!! I guess someone needed them more than us!! 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Report it to the police as a criminal matter.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Lesley143,

Lovely to meet you. I am sorry to hear about your experience with your first guest and your kitchen items, it must be so upsetting to find this.

I wanted to check if you have contacted our Support Team about this. If not, I would recommend contacting them and informing them about this. As you are based in London, here is the phone number to reach the team +44 (0) 203 318 1111. Here is also a useful Community Guide on the different ways to reach them.

I hope you get this sorted out.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Renee206
Level 2
Malaysia

Hi ! I’m facing the same issue now 😞 my pot and pans are missing and it’s more expensive than their stay. I feel being robbed.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This is a horrible experience @Renee206 

Contact the guest and say that you have found items missing and have they taken them 'in error' and see what they say. If not reply they raise a claim through the Resolution Centre. (presume local guests if they are taking this sort of equipment).

Mr A says he didn’t even cook with the pot and pans and denied it. Even my guest before Mr A remember there was a pot and pan when they stay at my Airbnb. I don’t have proof even I report and I did told Airbnb . 

@Helen3 my guest before Mr A stay at my apartment can be a witness that my apartment did provide pot and pans. But the Mr A say he didn’t cook so he don’t even know there was any pot or pan .... 

I’m going to buy cheap pot and pans for guest in the future. Just can’t trust them 😕

Denise80
Level 9
Hamilton, New Zealand

Guests will steal the strangest things. Our hose disappeared! 

Omg I totally understand .. guest just think it’s all calculate in their payment -.-

Lesley143
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

We never did find out who took our things and put it down to experience. Also they took a picture, a very old stereo tape player and tipped out a bag of clothes to pinch the bag to take the things away in. We did wonder if someone left house open and a passing thief took the opportunity of an open house?

@Lesley143 hmmm I see .. that’s possible too but will a thief really steal those stuff ? I doubt, thief will look for cash instead. 

Lesley143
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Yes maybe but to be honest we thought It was for a car boot, nothing was real value although they also took 2 x 60cm wicker  baskets that fitted into an open kitchen unit and they left 1!! It has put us off but not sure how you stop it unless you have full list of items and guests sign list! 

@Lesley143thats what Airbnb suggested for me ! Full list of item and guests sign list, and check list before they check out. Will be a lot of work 😕 and time consuming too! 

If you don’t mind me asking this but erm your first four guest are they foreign guest or local ?