Security deposit

Shaleah0
Level 1
Gold Coast, Australia

Security deposit

Hi everyone, is there any way to set a security deposit as a percentage instead of a set dollar amount? I'm renting a vacation apartment, and some people stay three nights and others stay for weeks. So it seems hardly fair to charge those staying for a short period of time a security deposit beyond a couple hundred dollars, and for those staying an extended length of time a couple hundred just isn't enough. A percentage of the overall booking fee or specific security deposits based on number of days booked would be the fairest way to set the deposit amount. For example, $300 security deposit every seven days stayed, or $600 for two weeks etc. I can't find this option anywhere on the site, but it'd be awesome if it was available somehow. For some people it's not a problem, but some people instant book for a really long stay with zero reviews and it's just one additonal layer of reassurance for me as a host. 

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

People aren't charged a security deposit it's just held against their card.

People can do as much damage in one night as in 20.

just charge according to the type of place and your nightly rate

just 

New host here! I set a 1000. security deposit as was recommended by AirBnB. I also included in listing info THEIR CARD IS NOT BEING HELD FOR THAT AMOUNT. Not sure they see that. But no way to let guests know or if they think this when would hold be released?

New host here! I set a 1000. security deposit as was recommended by AirBnB. I also included in listing info THEIR CARD IS NOT BEING HELD FOR THAT AMOUNT. Not sure they see that. But no way to let guests know or if they think this when would hold be released?

Maddy3
Level 2
Saskatchewan, Canada

I would love if Airbnb added this feature!

While I do agree that the same amount of damage could be done in 1 night, as in 20... There is more likelihood of something happening in a longer timeframe. Also, when someone only stays one night, I am usually around the whole time they are there, but when someone stays a week or two, there could be plenty of time when I'm not around.

Gary-And-Rose0
Level 7
Chemainus, Canada

I feel a security deposit is there to prevent someone damaging something just as much as collecting if they do. Its a bit of peace of mind. I charge 500 dollars whether you stay two nights or 10. Hopefully people will be a but more careful and think twice.