Security Deposit - Entire seaside holiday house - UK

Pippa13
Level 3
Weybridge, United Kingdom

Security Deposit - Entire seaside holiday house - UK

Hi

I have just started letting my holiday home.  So I let the whole house for 2+ nights a booking.

I have not seen much about security deposits online - and wondered if this is something other house owners require as a matter of course.  What the implications are for guests and whether it means you just get less bookings if it puts guest off.

Is it the norm to set one?

many thanks for any advice.  Pippa

4 Replies 4
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Pippa13. Observing and hearing about guests' performance, it is becoming a nomr to put a security deposit. It's simply safer to be on this side, what is more, guests are not really charged it:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

It is the norm to have a Security Deposit for a Holiday Home but not something AirBnB currently offer,.

David
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Pippa13 Hi Pippa, I have holiday houses in Australia and as far as the Airbnb 'security deposit' goes, I pretend it doesn't exist as they don't actually collect it and from the comments in the community centre it is, shall we say, challenging to collect on. Other sites (eg HomeAway) do actually collect the amount and it hasn't stopped my booking rate. I don't rely on it anyway and ensure that I have adequate insurance to cover any issues.

Gillian

Pippa13
Level 3
Weybridge, United Kingdom

Hi Gillian.  Many thanks for your reply.  What you've said echoes the conclusion I was coming to having read the comments in the community centre.  Good to know we are on the same wavelength. 

cheers,  Pippa