Sales tax and Occupancy Tax errors at Airbnb

Cathy59
Level 1
Tampa, FL

Sales tax and Occupancy Tax errors at Airbnb

My property is in Monroe County, FL.  Airbnb has added a 7.5% fee called Florida General Sales and Use Tax and Monroe General Sales and Use Tax. 

The correct math is 7.5% State of Florida Sales Tax and 5% Monroe County Bed Tax with a total of 12.5% Tax that should be collected.

I find it strange that every other large booking site allows owners to set the taxes, here Airbnb has the wrong numbers and wrong description.

3 Replies 3
Michelle311
Level 2
Longwood, FL

By any chance, does anyone know how to correct the occupancy tax rates Airbnb is listing.  I see that it is wrong on my listing.  

Wrong in my area too.  They are charging guests 10% but occupancy tax for my home is only supposed to be 1.3%. 

Wendy739
Level 1
Rockport, MA

Occupancy tax charges begin July 1 in MA at 5.7% plus a town or county might have an additional tax. However private residences with 1 or 2 guest rooms are exempt from this tax. AirBnB is collecting 12% from my summer guest reservations and no one at the help center can put me in touch with anyone who can correct this. I feel badly as it is adding extra expense to my guests that shouldn't be collected. I have tried multiple times to reach a knowledgable person to no avail. Any suggestions?