Richmond Virginia

Clarke0
Level 2
Richmond, VA

Richmond Virginia

Hello

I've been hosting in Richmond and I'm searching for as much help/guidance on how to comply with the new bill that went into affect on july 1st 2017.

I've been doing some research and it's a little frustrating so if anyone has any insights that would be great. 

Also, are there suggestions on how the Richmond hosting community will be collecting taxes since airbnb offered to do so for us on its platform but the gov't declined b/c they want control. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Coleen

5 Replies 5
M--Toni0
Level 1
Williamsburg, VA

I have just started hosting 2 weeks ago and tried to do the right thing and apply for a business license in James City County. I submitted my application to the county and just received a call from the zoning office that I will need a special permit which is 1200.00 to have an a airbnb. Of course that's not happening. What are others doing  

Ashley595
Level 2
Richmond, VA

Please take this survey to let the city know what you think of the rules they are wanting to impose on AirBnB hosts in Richmond, VA. They are considering a $300 permit, only allowing to book 180 nights per year, rules on wether or not you reside in the rental, rules on the number of occupants per room, rules on tenants having to ask the owner/operator for permission, parking requirements, ect. Please have your voices heard!

Article here with a link for the survey in the 4th-to-last paragraph:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2019/04/08/short-term-home-rental-permits-cost-300-proposed-city-rules/

Here is another link to survey but I'm not sure if this will work:

The survey, available here, can be taken through May 31.

@Ashley595  I can think of a lot of reasons that some hosts won't be happy with these rules, but I read through them and think it's actually the most reasonable and well-thought-out regulatory policy I've seen. It seems lke they've made a genuine effort to prioritize the scale and budget of mom n' pop B&B hosts over large-scale operations, and the 180-night limit sounds like a fair way to allow hosts a decent income while discouraging investors from converting housing stocks into full-time hotels.  

I live in a city that has made some very politicized efforts to tether Airbnb to the housing crisis but has failed to produce a simple, accessible, and easy-to-understand set of regulations. (Germans love complexity.) I'd actually prefer if Berlin followed Richmond's model. What aspects of it do you think they could improve on?

Hi Andrew!

Most of the rules they are considering I am fine with. I like that they are trying to stop investors from buying up property. I think they will successfully prevent that from happening with the "primary residence rule" not the 180 night limit. I dont really understand the purpose of the 180 night limit. By having that limit, it almost makes it not worth it for me to do this. My price point is low so after airbnb takes their fee, I set aside money for taxes, and account for cleaning supplies, energy costs, and ware and tare - I'm left with a laughable amount. Right now, I can balance that out by having a high booking rate. If they cap my booking rate at 180 nights, then I'll have to dramatically increase my price - which in-turn will lower my booking rate even more because no one will want to pay that! And I'll have to pay $300 on top of it all for the permit. The 180 day limit makes this not worth it for anyone with a low price point.

Im also not a fan of tenants having to ask permission from the owner although I completely understand the purpose. I'm of the mind set - you're paying the rent so do what you want in your home so long as you aren't damaging the property. But like I said, I totally understand this one. 

Berlin - I heard they are shutting down Stone Brewing there. Such a shame 😞 

Thanks for the response, Andrew!