Reviews that get personal

Scotia0
Level 4
England, United Kingdom

Reviews that get personal

So I have been an Air BNB host for several years as well as a guest.

I had a lady stay with me last week who seemed nice enough until she chekced out and then a few days later left this reveiw, which is copied below along with my response. Let me set the scene I rent out the sofa bed in my lounge I get up at 6 am to walk my dog then go to work, when I get home I either walk the dog or gym or both then eat and go to bed. No other guest has had a probelem with this and I haven't had any bad reviews until now. I just feel this is a bit personal and that she hasn't taken into account that she is staying my flat while I have to carry on with business as usual and has blatently said she doesn't really like english people! I in no way ignored this woman, she was trying to adopt a dog from a rescue to take back to Denmark but needed to board it for 3 weeks while it had vaccinations etc, I was contacting all the dog people I knew seeing if they could help 

21 Replies 21
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Scotia0

Personally I would not have responded, the woman sounds like a nutter in her review. The good news is she's from Denmark and the review will only show up for people from Denmark.

The review is already at the bottom of page 2 for me in the uk.

Scotia0
Level 4
England, United Kingdom

@Jeff0 thanks I wasn't aware of how the reviews show up in other countries. 

@Scotia0   @Jeff158  is right she sounds hopelessly needy,  but luckily most people know a rant when they see one, all your other reviews are good – in fact she roasts her own goose by mentioning that in the first few lines.    I would not have replied either, or replied to my advantage along the lines of being  happy to interact with my guests when I have the time and that I am always available by phone or text to answer questions or resolve problems. Less is more when writing responses and reviews.

fyi: there is a post on this forum with some good ideas for turning a negative into a positive.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Tips-for-Writing-Response/m-p/710590

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Scotia0 ,

why are You telling us all that? This stay was in june, it's over. Do You now want us to tell You You did well or You did not well and if we do so, what would it change?

If You would have come to us before writing the response to the bad review You've got, we could certainly have helped You but not anymore. What @Ange2 and @Jeff158 wrote is right, but it's too late.

Again, Scotia, what is Your intention of opening this thread?

Scotia0
Level 4
England, United Kingdom

Ute I was just looking for feedback I thought that was one of the areas covered by the forum ? ,most of which was constructive, I haven’t encountered a guest that behaves like this before . 

@Ute36

@Ute42 wrote:

Hi @Scotia0 ,

why are You telling us all that? This stay was in june, it's over. Do You now want us to tell You You did well or You did not well and if we do so, what would it change?

If You would have come to us before writing the response to the bad review You've got, we could certainly have helped You but not anymore. What @Ange2 and @Jeff158 wrote is right, but it's too late.

Again, Scotia, what is Your intention of opening this thread?

Ouch! no need to be hostile to her. 

Agreed. When I see good reviews but then there is one that is a rant, I ignore it. We've all encountered guests that can't be pleased. And there are a lot of people suffering from hidden psychological issues.

But I personally did like your response.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Scotia0   I mostly agree with what the other reponders have said, although I don't see a problem with you responding, just that your response is too long- it could have been a quarter the length if you had been more succinct. Long responses don't really look good for the host- short and professional is better.

I will point out a couple of things:

She did not say she doesn't like English people-she said the opposite- "I have met few Englishmen/women that I don't like...."

Secondly, even though your other guests have managed to find your place without specific directions, you saying that your other guests have found it easily with a smart phone app is not at all sensitive to the fact that not all people use the same technology. While young people are usually dialed in to such things, middle-aged and older folks not necessarily are. I do not even use a smart phone, for instance. I think it is incumbent on a host to provide clear directions to their home.

Scotia0
Level 4
England, United Kingdom

Thanks Sarah I did and always do provide specific instructions on how to get to my house I also spoke to this guest on the phone before arrival and still no mention ? 

@Scotia0   Well, that isn't what you wrote in your response to her review-

"Response from Scotia:

If you had asked for directions on how to get to my flat prior to arrival I would have of course provided them..."

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Scotia0, you appear to be the only contributor to this forum apart from me who has Ealing Broadway as their local station so I felt I should respond!  There is nothing wrong with that station and many of my guests have been delighted that it is at the end of the line as that means they usually get a seat, plus it also serves two lines which is a huge advantage.  

I do agree with @Sarah977 that for older guests, like myself, it is always better to provide detailed instructions for how to get to your place as many of us do not have smart phones (and don't want them) and rely on the old fashioned methods of finding places.  To save time you could povide the directions as a saved message.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I live in a very small town and they still get lost so as part of my message I remind them where I am and that Google Maps will not work, but still see some driving around, in UK terms it would be a hamlet.

Now the review did pop up as top and I am in the US so not sure what is going on,  never been to Denmark.

Couple of thoughts, if you leave responses to reviews keep them short, remember you are not responding to her but to future guests.

If you have more guests coming in then it will soon be buried.

The logic of people booking by definition on line and then not looking at the map etc escapes me. But it happens. And yes I do know where Ealing Broadway is. And is not.

David

@David126   I added this to my message that gives the codes for doors and alarms and setting the safe information because I got dinged on location. Also in the private feedback from a guest said she couldn't see the playset/child's area we setup with tables for parents to watch them from. Boggles the mind, they couldn't ask when they didn't see it? We tell them any problems or questions, anything please ask! The six 7 year olds had no problem yesterday finding it 🙂 when they arrived. A Field and Track event with some parents and the coach from Houston for 3 days. 

If you have any issues at all finding us, please call and we will guide you to the Guest House. A few people have had a problem. Also if your children want to use it the playset/swingset is located behind the Wedding Venue which is on the property. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Scotia0 Two things struck me:

1. Your setup comes across better suited for younger people, technically hip, and who are more dynamic and adaptable in nature than older ones, and are also 'on the go'. Unfortunately, this guest appeared to be extremely  interested in social interaction which you hardly have time to give, and even wanting to make a 'friend'. A tall order.

2. Your response was definitely too long and her review could have been summarily dismissed in about three  sentences, along the friendly lines of - "Unfortunately,  I wish I would have more time to spend with my guests, but working life..". This would have let future guests know what to expect. 😉