AirBNB cancelled my reservation but I was penalized $100 as if I had

Steven54
Level 2
Decatur, GA

AirBNB cancelled my reservation but I was penalized $100 as if I had

A potential guest was on thier way to my listing and I had gone to the store, my phone however died without me knowing it. When I got back and turned my phone on the listing had been cancelled and I had messages from AIRBNB saying that they had tried to get in contact with me and that I should contact my guest, however the reservation was already cancelled at that point. I thought it was a guest cancellation until I noticed I hadn't been getting payouts for more guest that had been staying. I called AirBnb support and they informed me of the 100 cancellation fee for host to which I replyed that I had not cancelled any reservations. The support agent then told me that I had incurred 2 cancellation charges for the same guest and listing and that due to AIRBnb not being able to contact me when the guest contacted them that it counted as a cancellation by me. I can actually understand that (I believe 100 dollars is entirely too high, but that's something else) however as I stated, I didn't know that the trip had been cancelled nor that I didn't still have time to call the guest. Is there a way to appeal the fee for first time host cancellation? I don't believe that a phone error should qualify as my first host cancellation, and that I should have been given time to contact AirBnb to rectify the mistake. 

7 Replies 7
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

That is awful. I have not come across an appeal process, there should be one. I can only suggest calling again and trying to escalate the issue. I understand sort of being penalised if you cancel, but not if ABB cancel. 

I am not on my phone 24/7, how can anybody be expected to be.

Aound where I am reception is anyway spotty at best.

David
Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

What I'd like to know, @Steven54, is why was Airbnb trying to contact you in the first place? What actually led to the cancellation?

Jude

AirBNB was attempting to contact me because the guest was unable to as my phone was unknowingly turned off in my pocket. I feel as if the thing to do would have been to tell me to contact AIRBNB as soon as possible and not the guest. 

Did the guest show up and wasn't able to access the property?

Possibly, I'm not sure if he was on his way or there but I was less than a half a mile away. The whole things happened so quickly I think it was more about him not being able to contact me than actually not getting in the listing. 

(10085 unread) - Business Box - Yahoo Mail

@Steven54  Change your cancellation policy to 'Strict' it will give you some leverage for future reservation / guest cancellations. From what you said had happened I would call Airbnb again and get a supervisor on the call and insist. I once called them 8 times before they finally conceded to a mistake they had made and rectified it.