Rejecting or reversing a check out

Bry0
Level 2
Bartlett, TN

Rejecting or reversing a check out

A guest sent me some money to return som of their items,but as mentioned in various conversations I do not have them anymore and therefore can not send them. I am worried the guest is going to cause issues for me by claiming he sent the money but never received the goods. How do I reject the payout? I ahve asked airbnb customer rep several times but did no get a response. 

3 Replies 3

@Bry0

"A guest sent me some money to return some of their items,but as mentioned in various conversations I do not have them anymore and therefore can not send them. I am worried the guest is going to cause issues for me by claiming he sent the money but never received the goods "

I would not worry too much about it just yet.

1. Why did he send money if you have already said you dont have the items ? 

2. I dont believe you can reject the money being sent. What you can always do though is send an exact amount back once you have seen that the money has been credited to you.

3.  "I dont have them anymore " - does that suggest you had them ? ..I assume you explained what happened to them if indeed you did have them 

4. Keep any messages within the Airbnb messaging system 

5. If you receive "aggressive" messages etc then report the guest to Airbnb or ask the guest to open up a Resolution case and you can then only deal with Airbnb and avoid further contact with the guest. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Bry0  I see this is a separate posting from the other posting about Air BNB withholding payout.  So you disposed of a guest's property left behind.  Seems if you contacted the guest about the items and did not hear back in a timely way, you would be justified in getting rid of the items.  As the guest is sending you money to return the items, it appears that they understood you have them.  It is probably a matter of timing and you took action.

Perhaps you need to advise the guest of your actions and begin a negotiation for compensating for the loss in order to manage this issue in good faith.  What type of items and what kind of money is involved?

Items were 3 t shirts,  swimming trunks and a long pair of trousers, thing is that the shipping costs to his country aoruld have been 89 EUR, which is the amount he sent me. Makes me suspicious?