Pre-approval confusion

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Pre-approval confusion

Hi Folks

Is there confusion amongst Guest about what pre-approval means? I had a guest that I preapproved only from him to let the preapproval lapse, I “Reached Out” to him, to explain that he had to book using instant booking for his reservation to go through which he did, hence my question.?

I had another lengthy inquiry (thinking it was a serious inquiry) which I preapproved and blocked the dates only to have him a couple of hours later cancel the booking, the dates are still blocked, and I don’t appear to be able to unblock them.

Why I’m confused is because I have instant booking switched on, so why am I getting all these inquiries? I had rash of them in a twenty-day period inexplicably none of them booked except one.

Tanguy, preapproved, preapproval lapsed, I reached out he then booked on instant booking.

Gerasimos, preapproved, he cancelled booking in a message, I had to decline his booking Airbnb only choice.

Elana, Preapproval expired heard no more from guest.

Nasi, preapproved, dates blocked, guest cancelled, dates still blocked.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow

16 Replies 16

Hi @Cormac0, one thing has me quite confused here. When you pre-approve an inquiry, the dates should not be automatically "blocked"; rather, by default they are still available for another guest to request or instant-book. There are a few circumstances in which dates are blocked that you didn't manually block in your calendar:

1. A guest has a confirmed reservation.

2. A guest has submitted a Request within the past 24 hours, awaiting host to Accept or Decline

3. A confimed booking has been cancelled by the host

4. A guest has attempted to Instant Book the property, but their payment method has not gone through (e.g. credit card declined, etc) - in which case, the dates are locked until the guest submits a valid payment.

The fourth scenario has happened to me a few times - in each case, Airbnb has sent an email and provided the option of retroactively declining the booking so as to free up the dates. 

There's another thing that happens specifically to Instant Book hosts. When a guest begins attempting to book a place, it triggers a lock on their selected dates. But if for any reason the booking process doesn't complete, it can take quite a long time for the lock to be released. In the interim, however, the host does not recieve any information on the pending booking, which can cause much confusion. Additionally, glitches do occur in which you have to contact Airbnb to have them manually unlock the dates.

Regarding pre-approvals: take them with a grain of salt. When guest send Inquiries, they're just using the Contact Host feature to get information - they can write to any number of hosts without committing to a booking. In my experience, most of them are not serious and don't wind up booking. You need not pre-approve or decline these at all; all you have to do is write something back quickly.

Now if i've misunderstood you and you are actually going through and blocking the dates yourself when pre-approving a guest....well, stop that, it's not necessary.

@Andrew

Thank you for taking the time to respond, In the IOS app you get a choice to "preapprove" or "decline", if you preapprove you then get a choice of blocking dates or leaving them open.

Inquiry -> Decline, self-explanatory or

Preapprove -> “Block Dates” or “Leave dates open”

Airbnb keep sending one emails, if you don’t either select “Preapprove” of “Decline”

Being a novice with inquiries, in one case I blocked the dates and in another I didn’t, neither inquiry lead to a booking. But now those blocked dates cannot be removed.

I think Airbnb need to go back to first principals and review the process flow of Inquiries versus bookings and how the whole process is functioning, sometimes in a rapidly developing system the processes can become disjointed and misaligned, which then leads to chaos.

The other thing that exercises my mind is that Airbnb are building additional processes around the fact that the “Guest Identity system” is broken as host want to vet guest before they allow these people in their homes. So rather than building a stringent system around Guest vetting they are adding layers of bureaucracy and complexity when if they tackled the root cause of the problem,  the system would work much better.

Rather than allowing every scoundrel to become a member of Airbnb it is my considered opinion that they would build greater market share if Host had confidence in the how Airbnb handles Guest vetting the issues around preapproval would vanish.

Of the four inquiries, I got over a twenty-day period only one inquiry asked me a question the other three appeared to be an introduction and they did not book in the end

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer’s Club Krakow

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Cormac0

Even if you have Instant booking on, you can receive inquiries, because some guest would like to contact the host before booking to ask some question or whatsoever. Somepeople usually enquire many hosts before taking a decision and booking.

It is important to preapprove or decline inquiries within 24h to better your response rate.

@J-Renato0 Actually you don't have to Pre-approve or Decline at all, as long as it's an Inquiry rather than a binding request. To maintain a 100% Response Rate, you need only write something back to the guest within 24 hours.

@Anonymous

Hi Andrew

This may seem like a stupid question but how can you tell the differance between an Inquiry and binding request.

Regards

Cormac

E.C.K.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Anonymous

As for your comment on my answer to @Cormac0 what I know is that:

If you notice, when the first message get to the host, there is always a prompt asking to preapprove, anyway you can decline.
Actually there is a countdown timer for every enquiry or booking request.
So and so far as I can understand it, you have 3 alternatives, being them to preapprove, to accept or to decline.

If it is a request to book, you have to accept or decline.

If it is an enquiry, you have to preapprove or decline within 24 hours. By asking this, Airbnb wants the host to you answer the guest if he or she is suitable or not, then the guest can proceed or search another place.

In this page about response rate, Airbnb says:

https://www.airbnb.com.br/help/article/430/what-is-response-rate-and-how-is-it-calculated

If you preapprove or decline a travel described in an enquiry, you better your response time.

@J-Renato0 I think you are confusing Inquiries with Requests.

A REQUEST provides two options: Accept or Decline. You must do either within 24 hours.

With an INQUIRY  you have the option of Pre-Approving or Declining, or of taking neither action but merely responding. Your Response Rate is maintained by sending a message within 24 hours; in the case of Inquiries, it is not necessary to pre-approve or decline. For example, I never decline or pre-approve inquiries, and my response rate remains at 100%.

It's important to understand the difference, as the former is binding and the latter is speculative.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Anonymous

Please, do not say I am confused. I am not confused anyway 🙂
You are repeating with other words what I have just said 🙂
If you would like, you can read this link and see with your own eyes that: https://www.airbnb.com.br/help/article/430/what-is-response-rate-and-how-is-it-calculated

One of the factors is  -> You can improve your response rate by pre-approving or declining a trip described in a booking inquiryThanks and cheers !

@Andrew

Hi Andrew

In the case of Guest, some of them presume that preapproval means that they have booked, which is not the case.

as previously explained (Andrew, I'm not casting aspersions on your intellect) I had to explain to "Tanguy" after his preapproval lapsed, he needed to book on instant booking if he was still interested, only after this intervention did he place a booking, my conclusion is that he thought that preapproval was a booking which I think it can be, if I block the dates as you can grasp I’m totally bamboozled by the process.

I'm still a little confused as to the process of inquiries, preapprovals and how a booking follows on from there, by nature I humorous and friendly but by training I’m rational and pragmatic and I don’t understand why somebody would explain to me why their coming to Krakow, not ask any question of me and then not proceed with a booking.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Anonymous

If you would like, you can read this link and see with your own eyes that:
https://www.airbnb.com.br/help/article/430/what-is-response-rate-and-how-is-it-calculated

One of the factors is  -> You can improve your response rate by pre-approving or declining a trip described in a BOOKING ENQUIRY.

@J-Renato0

Hi Jose

Thank you for letting me know about the response rate, I must keep an eye on that.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer’s Club Krakow

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hi again @Cormac0

If I may offer another comment, from my experience, I think it is not a good idea to block dates when someone has just enquired. We, the hosts usually receive some enquiries that are not converted into bookings. So, if you block the dates you prevent other potential guest to enquiry for the same dates or even to book.

To block dates only make sense when you have a nice enquiry for a big period of time, and the guest ask to block the dates provisionally  because the guest has some problem to pay for the booking at that moment and need more time, so he/she is only enquiring at that moment. Doing this, It will prevent that other potential guest book for only few days for the same frame dates. Anyway, you will be always taking a risk, if the guest that asked to block the dates without booking do not proceed and give up, you will be at a loss.

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Cormac0

you always have only 2 options. If one of them reads pre-approve, it's an inquiry, and as @Anonymous says, you only need to answer anything. 

If the option reads Accept, it's a booking. On IB, it means a booking outside your parameters, like previous recommendations. 

I get the Block Dates question too, but never do. If they are new, I sometimes tell them, if others are interested. 

If it's an inquiry, I answer questions and sometimes tell them to book and I will accept.  I hate those pending pre-approved requests, when they take an eternity to make up their mind. Book quickly or book elsewhere, I'm always quick and quickly bored. 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Anonymous @J-Renato0@Helga0

Post script:

Nasi who appeared to have cancelled (my original post on this tread), has in fact NOT cancelled this came to light when I reached out to him (Advice from Andrew, thanks again) and ask him to unblock the calendar dates he booked, Nasi said that he had some problems with Airbnb but they were sorted out.

Its just as well I contacted Nasi or it could have been a complete mess!

As I have stated ad nauseam, this booking system is getting too complex and obtuse, Airbnb please go back to first principals and do a root and branch review on the processes involved.

Thank you to all who took the time to help me

Regards

Cormac

E.C.K.