Occupancy Tax

Peter17
Level 1
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Occupancy Tax

I just listed my property in Palm Springs, CA, USA.  the City of Palm Springs has a tax that is required when renting a property.  There is a mandatory City of Palm Springs tax of 11.50% for any stay less than 28 days. I understand that Airbnb has entered into an arrangment with certain cities whereby they will pay the tax directly to the city municipality ie. Amsterdam.  I dont see any line item whereby Airbnb collects the city tax.  I went into some of the Q&A and do see that Airbnb does not have a line item for tax.  Appreciate any help or suggestions as to what to do.  

5 Replies 5
Derek0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Hi Peter,

Derek here, CPA and Founder of Shared Economy CPA.  Specifically, what is your question?

Does anyone know how to remove the automatic tax collection that airbnb shows on the quote?  In my particular area, the rate is 11.5% and the rate on the quote is 6%.  I collect the tax myself on other sites and pay directly to the state and county and don't want to have airbnb doing this for me. Help!

I agree. How do we get AirBNB to NOT collect and pay the tax on my behalf?

Manuel606
Level 1
Fullerton, CA

are the hunger hotels/motel in Palm Springs behind this tax?

Michael5263
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

I just found this old thread on a matter that I cannot figure out.   I see some listings in Palm Springs where airbnb calculates and collects the City Tax, but does not pay the city on behalf of the Host; I am fine with that. I just cannot determine how to get my listing to start calculating that 11.5% city tax so that its included in the Guests total amount due....help.