My guests have family member come visit them who lives in same city who is here too long

Mark356
Level 2
Perth, Australia

My guests have family member come visit them who lives in same city who is here too long

I have 2 guests here at the moment visiting their daughter who lives in the same city BUT their daughter is always here and is not a guest she stayed all day yesterday and all evening leaving late at night to go back to her house but while she was here she made her self quite at home helping herself to everything and it seems wrong to me... any advice please... it is like having a unpaid guest here

15 Replies 15
MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

@Mark356the first step is always to communicate matters in a firm but friendly way with your guests. It is after all your house. I make it clear in my house rules that no visitors are allowed, only registered guests. You should maybe consider this for the future. Always remember to put your communication in writing as an Airbnb message after the verbal conversation. Good luck!

thank you for the reply I feel aweful this unwanted woman here

I just had words saw her using the electriic to charge her things so moved her on

Oh dear so she is back for the day.

Yes she was here all yesterday and even cooked for herself last night sat in the lounge with the other 2 guests drunk wine and smoked in the garden watched tv etc and left late last night today she just sat here helping herself to coffee etc again and charging her appliances etc with the electric i just had words with her and moved her on but no doubt this will result in a unfair bad review.... and I think somehow I should be able to charge her friends for the 2 days she was here?

@Mark356its not too late to talk to you guests about it. Give them your side of the story in a nice way. Maybe they will understand your situation. And change your house rules..

I think I said it nice but firm and I dont think they appreciated it they started talking in German saying "gees he talks alot" I have changed my advert in the rules now to say guests only no visitors allowed 🙂

@Mark356

well all you can do now is to stay friendly. And remember when it is time to review, only review your guests. Not the daughter. And you can always respond publicly to their review afterwards. I see you have loads of great reviews that will pull you through. Well done

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Mark

I had similar problems and they were Germans as well, I called them out on their extra guest which didn’t make a blind bit of difference, he stayed anyway so, I bit my tongue and was extremely nice and they gave me a good review, but I explained in my review of them what was going on. The next thing I get a text saying how dare I write such a review and that their review of me would have been completely different had they known what I was going to say. If fact she said she did not want to ruin my business that’s why she gave me a favourable review but she was now going to call Airbnb and complain, I told her bring it on as her story was riddled with inconsistences (aka lies) and in addition to this, I had kept Airbnb fully informed.

So be brave and assert your authority!

I reminded of an Irish farmer who discovered one morning a family were camping in one of his fields without permission, we Irish are an easy-going race so he did not mind so much, what irked him was they left a complete mess behind, the farmer got their car registration and discovered where they lived. A month later the Family in question where highly indigent to find the farmer and his family camped in their suburban garden in the middle of posh Dublin.

So, if you guest’s feel your unreasonable think creatively, there’s nobody quite as indignant as the self-centred and those with a complete sense of entitlement.

Thanks for the reply... good to know I am not the only one thats had this issue

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Mark356  Obviously you are not the only host to learn the finer aspects of being a host when we have a negative experience with a guest.  In looking at your listing and house rules, I see you have added the rule about the no unregistered guests.  I notice that your rules are somewhat harshly worded and "blame" previous guests for having to add them.  You might consider just bullet points about cleaning up, eating in the room and electricity.  Also, I include house rules in a hard copy form in my "Welcome Letter" which is in the room.  Just a thought to consider...

Thanks for the reply yes they have the rules already written in the room upon arrival....

We were struggling with this at first as parents were coming to town to visit their children at the local college.  We finally had to come up with rule when a guest asked if she could have 7-8 people over during her stay for an evening of conversation and catch up.  Who even thinks this is okay?  So we added to our house rules: 

* NO ENTERTAINING; We are perfectly happy having people pop by to pick up our guests, but we would prefer that you not use our home to entertain them. We'd be happy to help you find other places to spend time with your family and friends, for example working out details to pack a picnic to take to the Gardens or making a dinner reservation. 

We've only had one or two small problems since adding this requirement, including the time a son was dropping off his parents and he almost immediately ducked into their en suite bathroom and took a giant poop so that the beginning of their stay was punctuated with an "at home" aroma (sheesh!) 

thanks for that..... if you dont mind can I pinch that rule off you for my adverts.... i seriously dont mind a visitor and a chat or cuppa but this woman was cooking and all for herself and no one asked she just made herself right at home