Lost Keys

Luis20
Level 2
San Jose, Costa Rica

Lost Keys

Hi! My name is Luis and I'm writing from Costa Rica. The last guest that I had lost the keys and she told me a minute before she was taking her taxi outside my house. Then I wrote to her asking if maybe she took the keys with her by mistake. Had no response. Is there a charge for lost keys? How does it work? Thanks!
20 Replies 20
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Luis20 AGGH! That's what Security Deposits are for and I see you don't have one!  Are you just going to get a duplicate key or will you have to change the lock as well?  This happens all the time.  First, set a Security Deposit amount on your listing for future mishaps and then get a receipt for the cost of resolving the lost key.  Then try contacting the guest again to see if he/she will pay for the cost.  If no response, go to Airbnb's Resolution Center and try to get reimbursed from there.  You might have to absorb the repair cost as you didn't have a security deposit. 

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/The-Resolution-Center-A-How-To-Guide-Request-or-Offe...

Luis20
Level 2
San Jose, Costa Rica

@Clare0, thank you so much for the feedback. I will be taking a look into the Security deposit. Have you ever experience lower guests because of the deposit?

Thanks.

Luis.

@Luis20 The security deposit has had no effect on my books.  The guest is not charged the security deposit not is there an authorization placed on the credit card.  It's just there in case of theft, damage and the like.  Read more about it here: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

And here's a discussion on how much a security deposit should be: 

http://globalhosting.freeforums.net/thread/1105/security-deposit-suggestions

Clare

Peter0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I agree with @Clare.  The security deposit doesn't faze guests.  

@Luis20

Follow all the other great advice about labels and phone numbers and security deposits, but also put your key on a big key ring with a long bright lanyard or ribbon and they will be easier to find and harder to lose.

Mine are on a long cord and I notice that guests hang them on their door knobs as they come and go from their internal room, and also on the key holder in the studio. Guests are using your keyto get in, so they are generally only prone to getting them lost in a bag or a pocket once they are back at your place. Give them a place to hang them and a big bright ribbon, neck lanyard or decorative keyring is also helpful.

Think BIG.

Does this look like a Key? 

(0)=FF

Lets have a mini key competition!

Regards, Christine.

Hey @Christine1 that's a great set of ideas!  I have always wondered why Airbnb doesn't have an Airbnb key ring for sale on Zazzo. 

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Can  I make a suggestion for a longer term solution - alwasy have a tab on your keys with your moble number. If they are lost and then found many people are generous enough to give you a call and say they have found a set of keys. We got a nice set of timber engraved key fobs on ebay with our moble number. It's worked like a dream twice already - and that's when we lost keys and not our guests!

@Gerry-And-Rashid0 Great idea!

OK putting a mobile number on the tab but better still make it a mobile number of someone else like your parents or sister or something, so that the mobile number is not associated with the property to which the key relates but you get the key back.  Never ever put anything like your address on it - you could put someone else (a friend's) address on and a code of some kind maybe.  

Peggy7
Level 3
Ringgold, GA

We got the key less entry where you can change the code for every guest. Love it.

Which keyless entry do you recommend?

How much?

The guest left without returning the keys and isn't replying to phone calls or emails. What should I do?

Hello, am new in Airbnb. The only thing I would think you can do is change your lockpad on the door, and for future situations, make yourself a copy, and attach to the key a huge red ribbon, with multiple knotts, that is what I do.  I have rented my cottage in the past by myself, and had some guests to carelessly mishandled the key and consequently lost it. Before they leave, I ask for the key, and I do a revision of the property to see if they stole or damaged things, I have nice oil paintings, and is always a concern for me. I ask them for the key on my hand before they leave.

I have learned through my experience ,as a host, that guests pick up on your cues in how you carry yourself and how organized and precise you are. I try to give a very professional impression, on the way I dress, the way I explain to them about the cottage and the town. I also do not bend and accommodate on ridiculous requests some have, I let my reasonable standards speak for itself. So I tell them--there is a fee if one loses the key, so please mind the key.   What else can you do really? And I don't see how Airbnb can do much in this situation. Somethings are out of their hands. If you do not have another key, you need obviously to change the lock.  I hope my comment helps you. Good luck!