Is a black shower pan a good idea?

Answered!
Amanda641
Level 2
Mooresville, NC

Is a black shower pan a good idea?

Hello All,

We are finishing a new bathroom and I love the look of a black shower pan but am wondering if guests will love it or be wary of it... 

Any advice would be appreciated!

1 Best Answer
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I have black tiles (and white). But the showerbase is white. You can see a glimpse of the shower where all the low tiles are black. Grout is light grey, as white discolours no matter what.

bath1.jpg

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Amanda641 Black makes all dirt more visible - whether it be cars, carpets or tiles - stick with white

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I'm all for bold choices (had a black kitchen sink once - water spots a pain, but I liked it, had a black-walled office once - huge window and high ceilings so was fine)

buuuuut if this is for your ABB space, I'd say maybe not. 1. Guests aren't always too creative 2. it may get dinged for dirty even if it isn't

And the shower pan is the last thing anyone would ever want to change. Shower glass, fine. Wall paint, easy. Tile, doable. Toilet, switch in a day. Vessel sink, easy. Whole vanity, ok. Lighting, easy.  But the shower pan only changes for an entire gut job, nothing survives that swap.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Hard to see the hair.

Grace329
Level 5
Johannesburg, South Africa

I recently stayed at a place that had  maroon floor tiles. I was a bit worried as i felt that possibily the dark color was hiding dirt. I think i will be even more worried if it was black! So I dont think its a good idea to have a black shower pan

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

If water in your area is hard as in Zagreb then avoid it 🙂

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

For my first house I bought a black toilet. Bad idea. There's a reason 99% of sinks, tubs, shower trays, toilets, etc are white or off white.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I agree a light shower floor is best, however, you might consider using dark grout.  I recently renovated my guest bathroom and installed white tile with dark brown grout.  Light grout discolors after a while, so I like the dark.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I have black tiles (and white). But the showerbase is white. You can see a glimpse of the shower where all the low tiles are black. Grout is light grey, as white discolours no matter what.

bath1.jpg

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

I would keep all the fixtures white. Paint the walls black if you want some black: https://www.google.com/search?q=black+walls+bathroom&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS721US721&source=lnms&tbm=isch&s...:

Ooo, I would have never thought of painting a bathroom black but I like it!

Amanda641
Level 2
Mooresville, NC

Thanks for the advice, everybody! I've ordered a white shower base! 

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Amanda641 I have black floor tiles in the shower. Never any complaints about dirt and I love it!

Bronwyn100
Level 7
Hardys Bay, Australia

Beware that black shows soap scum and watermarks