Extra Guest on Second Night

Tim510
Level 1
Colorado Springs, CO

Extra Guest on Second Night

I have a first-time guest who on the second night of his stay has an additional guest stay in the room. He seems like a nice guy but I feel like this is disrespectful. There is an extra vehicle in my yard and he didn't ask or alert me to this additional person.

What is the proper AirBNB etiquette in this type of situation?

3 Replies 3
Louise231
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

Hi @Tim510

This is a popular peeve for many hosts. Personally i feel regardless if a hosts charges for extra people a guest should always ask if they wanted to bring another person onto your property, especially if you are an on site host.

Many hosts, (myself included) put a note in the rules that guests cannot bring anyone else at all (after the number booked). How strictly you enforce that is up to you.

Even with it on my listing, on the rules a guests has to manually agree to before they arrive, and in the very first message i send them, i still get guests who try to bend it 'just for them'

'My friend wants to come and help me get ready'

'They're helping with luggage'

'We need to do evening prayers together'

I tend to be apologetic but reallllllly firm, because for me if they can't respect that they wil probably ignore basic things elsewhere.

That said, people may not realise, a polite word and they could be really apologetic, and arrange to go else where. And yes there are very, very few occations where i've been ok with it. Generally when its family coming to collect them to take them out for the day/ dinner ect.  Or someone ones to book an extra person for part of their stay (pre-arranged!)

But you need to be happy with it first, don't worry about the potential for a 4star review if it's making you uncomfortable, sometimes guests need a nudge to remember they are in another person's home

Louise231
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

@Tim510I should probably add you don't need it stated in your rules to be able to say to a guest that any extra's need to leave.

It just recduces the chances happening again,

Also when it's in your rules it's very black and white -if there's an issue it's easy to bring it up with airbnb as you explicitly stated no in advance,  it's in writing and the guest had to agree before they arrived.

But you still have the right to tell them to leave without it, it's just harder and potentially awkward to explain sometimes.

Terry15
Level 2
Houston, TX

Learn this lesson..... now change your rules - that UNBOOKED guests will be charged $50.00 per night per person.   Then if they do it - CHARGE EM!