IB suits me perfectly

Blagoje0
Level 10
Split, Croatia

IB suits me perfectly

We all know that Airbnb pushes IB because it is more convenient for guests to IB than waiting for a host response. I see that many of you dont like IB but for me is good.

I have an additional two-bedroom apartment that I started renting this year as a whole unit.

My listing has a lot of pictures, a detailed description of the place and its surroundings and set house rules so my potential guests can get real image of accomodation and service I offer. 

If guests see the price of accommodation acceptable they IB an send short introduction message.

I still getting inquiries but most of them are like " if you can give a discount for 9 days stay, we are four adults and a one child-can we book for four, can you provide us early check in and free airport transportation...."

I hosted 26 trips and all of my IB guests were from great to wonderful.

If I share my place I would not turn IB, but as a host who offering entire place IB suits me perfectly. Am I the only one who like IB.

10 Replies 10
Robert78
Level 10
Suzhou, China

@Blagoje0 Nope, I concur on your main points! I fully agree that IB isn't for everyone, most specifically those hosts that share their home on a room-only basis.

My only caveat is that hosts that use IB MUST become fully acquainted with the pitfalls and mitigate against them, familiarize themselves FULLY with the operational aspects, terms and conditions.

I've used IB for years, I've had my fair share of oddball guests (and outright a%%holes), but more often than not, IB works for me because over time, I've garnered enough experience to get it working to my advantage.

Cheers, Blagoje and continued successes!

Keila0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I really like Instant Booking. 

In fact I like the control I have on this platform. I think I have some control, even with the IB activated.

But I agree also that this is not comfortable for everyone.

🙂

Hugs

Keila

Melanie33
Level 8
Ashcott, United Kingdom

IB works for me as we get a lot of last minute bookings of guests touring the area who don't want to commit themselves to staying in a certain place before they start their travels but wait until they find an area they want to see more of.  Our guests from IB have been great with one exception.  We still do get inquiries as well but I would say by and large IB is great for our listing.  I do agree however that for new hosts especially there are pitfalls and it is so important to read up on everything before you list your property and especially with IB.

Mel

@Blagoje0   You say  "If I share my place I would not turn IB"

Also I wonder is it more convenient for Guests or is it just more convenient for Airbnb?

What I find interesting is that Airbnb was originally marketed as a unique experience, SHARING with a local.  It has since changed and the "sharing" experience has all but been sold down the river. It is much more a 'hotel-like' booking site. I know the host can cancel, but at a hefty price, fines, penalizations, blocking of dates and the possibility of a downgrade to listing.

I think that is why many, particularly those who share their home, are against it and why many are  frustrated at the possibility of mandatory IB.  This is especially apparent when things change such as  "Not suitable for children" to "Might not be suitable for children".  There are no new laws (neither domestic nor international) that address the sharing economy so Airbnb revert to 'hotel' and 'housing' laws and compliance, which is very different from their original stated objective.

Further, many guests do not read the description and do not put in the amount of guests they are bringing or that they have pets, children, it's party-time, etc. so the onus is on the host to check and double check and if need be go through the laborious task of contacting Airbnb to have the reservation cancelled and/or pay the penalty.

I am not sure what is the best way forward. Maybe the site should be split into 'sharing' and non-sharing' and Airbnb should focus on lobbying for new laws that address this very new 'sharing- economy'.  Uber has similar problems as do other 'sharing- economy' start-ups. Time they all banded together instead of penalizing the very people. i.e. those who share their apartments and whose collaboration was essential in getting Airbnb (and other similar models) a foothold in the market, make the owners billionaires (they are all on Forbes list of billionaires)  and put them in a position to attract millions/billions in venture capital.

It's pretty much the story of FB which relied on enough people signing up for accounts in exchange for data, which then allowed FB to diversify into much more lucrative fields and ultimately wrest more and more control of people's accounts, dictate how they behave, tell them what they can/cannot do (post) and use their data (data is gold) for their own ends with no user input. I fear this is the way Airbnb are headed.

i share time with my guests, stories, sometimes dinner and driks, share great local restoraunts, secret spots, beautiful hidden beaches...that only locals know and can not be found in any tourist guidebooks and brochures. I just dont share same space with them.

@Blagoje0   Great.  I think it is wonderful to share hidden spots etc. I love discovering new things, gaining knowledge from locals, seeing where they live and from their perspective.  To me the whole point of traveling is to engage with the new and not just objectively "see"  things,  but subjectively live and experience them.

But, my point is that the original idea was sharing an actual space with a local and that idea has begun to take a backseat.

@Ange2

I am listed on Airbnb less than a year so I dont know how it was in the beginning but, from my experience here, I never got the feeling that this is, or ment to be place for sharing only an actual space. But I did get the feeling that this site promotes traveling that offers guests, with the help of their host, to experience a place like a local, but not related to the type of accommodation.

In Croatia there are thousands of listed properties and I think only small percentage offer to share their own spaces. So if it were only sharing of actual space (original idea) Airbnb would lose huge potential earnings. And where will this lead further, we will see.

@Blagoje0   I am not saying it should  just be for shared spaces but it was a big selling point at the beginning.  I am saying that thought and options need to be given to people with shared spaces instead of it becoming more like a hotel booking service where people with shared spaces spaces are given less options and more penalties.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

I use IB for one property and I like it.   The property is for two people only and the sleeping arrangement is straightforward, so users have very few questions.  If they know they want it, they can book.  The other reason I like IB is that when people DON'T use it, but make an inquiry instead, I know they're trying to get me to lower my rates.  And that is something I never do for anyone, under any circumstances.  IB is like my private warning system in that regard.  :). I don't use IB at the other house 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Glad that you like it! I am worried about having to cancel guests if I enable it. Quite a few times a year I have to decline requests that are unsuitable and that is fine, but fine if they become confirmed bookings and I will end up with cancellations. This is how it will go now maybe, as Airbnb will possibly move to making all non-IB listings invisible. This is happening right now for me, and I cannot see non-IB in searches. Just started a few days ago.

I think overall guests are MORE likely to be cancelled on with IB and I do not want to get a reputation as a canceller, nor do I want to hear users saying ''Don't go with Airbnb, they just keep cancelling your trip''. I want GOOD REP only. IB makes this harder.