How did they bleach the sheets? Go through 6 rolls of TP in 6 days? I'm stumped!

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

How did they bleach the sheets? Go through 6 rolls of TP in 6 days? I'm stumped!

My guests somehow managed to leave several, large bleached areas on the bottom fitted sheet and I can't figure out how. I don't think I'm going to bother with seeking reimbursement but am trying to figure out a tactful way to leave it in the review.

Definitely not nightmare guests, but they have been my worst guests to date. They brought two small dogs who used pee pads in the room (against my rules!) and the dogs barked at every little noise. The woman had the loudest voice and talked constantly. I never really heard her husband say anything.

They ran through 6 rolls of toilet paper in 6 days (I'm not sure when they ran out), and instead of telling me I find a box of Kleenex behind the toilet. Also against my rules to flush anything but toilet paper.

I'm extra salty because they booked early on before I realized it was stupid to offer a big discount for 7 night stays, and it was before I realized I needed  to increase my pet fee. They got a STEAL! The room was filthy when they left. They are also the only guests I've had who left nothing in the guest book. 

Maybe I've been spoiled by extra considerate guests. And I'm doing a little venting/ranting, but also would like to know...

How would you handle the sheets? Mention it to the guest and try to get reimbursement? Mention in the review? They were not horrible guests in the grand scheme of things, but I would never want them back so it will be a thumbs down for sure. 

Should I bring up the noise, the dogs, and anything else or just leave a "better suited for a hotel" and be done with it?

27 Replies 27
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

I just did a "sniff" test...I think maybe the dogs peed on the sheets?? Could dog pee cause bleaching? My sheets are light blue.

Thank goodness for mattress covers!!

@Suzanne302  Yes it can because dogs are carnivores and eat a high level of protein in their diet, they break the protein down and excrete it as nitrogen and hydrogen in the urine which is how you make ammonia by mixing both together. Also to clean up dog urine because it contains ammonia never use bleach, when you mix ammonia and bleach together it makes a toxic gas which is very harmful if inhaled so you should not pour bleach over the dog urine instead use vinegar or another cleaner that does not contain bleach.

@Letti0Thanks! That is the ONLY explanation I can think of. Unless they spilled something and tried to clean it up. But there was not a stain on the mattress cover. Either way, these sheets are going in the trash!

I also found my sheets bleached, and i was lucky/ i had just bought them and still had receipt. I contacted ABB and guest paid

Kenneth-And-Lilia0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

I had that with my very first guest.  My rules say no kids and no smoking yet she did both.  When we went to clean, it took us 6 hours to clean the mess from mascara or something all over the tub, toilet, walls...crayon all over the place and just filth everywhere.  They did damage to towels, TV, dishes, stove...and it really frustrated me about AirBnB and the fact she had 17 POSITIVE reviews.

If they broke the rules (ie the dogs), you need to mention that in your review.  My thought on the sheets and TP, just let it go.  We all know people dont treat hotels (our closest equivalent) as well as their own home and they have to replace sheets all the time.

In my situation, the guidance here was to let the reimbursement go.  Mine would have been $57 but as others said, save your claim for a big one like broken furniture.  As for what I did on my guests review...it was blistering.  You are helping everyone by posting an honest review, at least about the dogs.

@Kenneth-And-Lilia0Thanks! Yeah, the sheets were only $40 and they aren't soft like the other sets I use, so that's probably why I don't really care about reimbursement as this is an excuse to get another set like the others.

I'll definitely have to think hard on how to word my review. It's hard to say in a tactful way that they were nice people, not horrible, but there's no way I'd want them to stay with me again!

Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

Hey Suzanne,

I certainly hear the need for a good rant here and there. A few things... if you allow pets, you allow everything they come with, opps inside, leaving their mess outside, damage to anything. I would consider whether or not pets really bring much value to the rental? Does every guest tend to have a pet? If so how much in pet fees will make their hassel worth it? I do not allow pets, but have granted permission a few times with the understanding that if anything happens the guests are financially responsible. 

Next, do you have a toilet paper usage rule? From what I can tell if you leave it they will use it. I always leave min 4 rolls per restroom even if just a one or two night stay. Maybe they had a cold and used extra paper for their sniffles. Who knows!? People are weird. 

In terms of the sheets, are they new? High thread count? Easy to replace? I’ve certainly had stains from new clothes, bloody noses, and other mishaps but I tend to eat the cost and get a new set at Walmart for $30. Sometimes people just are oblivious to the damage they cause. Sorry for their behavior. Better luck in the future. @Suzanne302

@Colleen47I should have mentioned that I absolutely love hosting dogs and it is totally worth it to me! I would say about 75% of my guests bring a dog. As a dog owner who likes to travel with my own dogs, I appreciate dog-friendly properties so I want to offer that to others.

I have very explicit "dog rules" and 99% of my guests so far have been respectful of those. Even these dogs were not "bad dogs." They were just yippy and loud and left a bit of a mess, which is covered by my pet fee (although these guests booked before I had raised my pet fee).

You are right, I think people are oblivious to the damage they cause! I'm not really worried about the sheets. They were only $40 and I wanted to replace this set anyway.

I'm still lucky...as I said, these weren't horrible guests, just guests I don't wish to have back!

@Suzanne302 I also host a lot of guests with dogs, and I always mention them in the review (so far for good reasons, knock on wood!). I would mention the dog mess and pee pad thing specifically. That's pretty gross, and I wouldn't want a guest using pee pads in my home. I think that's important to know if a host is specifically going to allow these dogs into their home. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Suzanne302 I recently had a guest that had good prior reviews but was dreadful every step of the way at my place (& he thought he was a nice guy & a good guest & LOVED his stay). I considered all the possible write ups and in the end went with “not a guest we would have back”. 

Thats my opinion, it can give another host pause (or not) and there is no anger inducing list of wrongs. 

@Suzanne302

I got frown lines just reading about those guests!!!! Yuck~~~~~

For the review, I'd definitely include "broke multiple house rules" and "caused minor damage" and "do NOT want to host these people ever again". 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Aaaand I just discovered a hand towel was bleached as well. Probably trying to clean up the mess on the bed. Now I'm irritated! The towels are part of a set that can't be replaced individually and my towels are nice and cost more than the sheets....Scathing review will be forthcoming.

Ugh.

@Suzanne302  I had a guest lose a towel (she took it out of the house on a booze cruise one day- even though I tell my guests that the towels are not to be taken out of the house and she had her own beach towel- and came back with totally different towel she grabbed by mistake, and not a nice one), same thing, part of a set. I shopped around and found a towel that, while it doesn't match the solid sage green ones of the set, is patterened, and has the same sage green in it, so it really looks intentional, and I'm sure no guest is going to complain or mark me down because of it.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Congratulations @Suzanne302 

You are now on your way to becoming a professional host.

You realize your pet fee was too low. Check

You now realize your rate was too low. Check

You now realize you should not provide Kleenex. Check.

Your future is bright. Just leave "better suited to a hotel"  thumbs down