How can Swiss guests pay. My potential guest says she cannot pay thru airbnb as no credit card

Helen204
Level 1
Scotland, United Kingdom

How can Swiss guests pay. My potential guest says she cannot pay thru airbnb as no credit card

I think guest is fairly new to the site, but initially asked if she could pay me by BACS transfer, as she has no credit card, only a debit card. I advised her to pay through airbnb, as it protects her, and me. After pre-approval time had run out, she contacted me again to say that because she is from Switzerland, she has no way to pay through airbnb. This surely cannot be the case???? Can anyone help?

Thanks

Helen

7 Replies 7
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

My Debit card also acts as a VISA card, perhaps hers does not?

Unusual to see somebody wanting to book on line and have noway of paying, up to her, I personally would forget it and move on.

Nothing to do with Switzerland.

David
Helen204
Level 1
Scotland, United Kingdom

Thanks for reply. I have pointed her in the direction of the info on payment methods. I had never any intention of accepting payment outwith airbnb, and as far as I am aware, one cannot actually send bank details anyway...on the real airbnb site.

All the best

Helen

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Helen204, I would say tell her you are very sorry not to be able to host her, that you really must stay within the Airbnb platform. Honestly, you are likely not missing out on anything but trouble. Using an excuse like "I am Swiss so cannot pay through the proper channels" is a preliminary red flag. 

Perhaps someone from Switzerland will answer as well, though, with news of whether credit card technology is available in that country... 

Helen204
Level 1
Scotland, United Kingdom

Thanks. I have had previous enquires which definitely red flagged, but this seemed like a newby who genuinely was struggling with the process. It is strange though. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Appreciated.

Helen

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Airbnb accepts a few different forms of payment.  Read more here:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/126/what-methods-of-payment-does-airbnb-accept

Do not accept payment outside of the Airbnb system.

A lot of older Swiss people do not have credit cards. They are "cash only" people. That being said, there are other payment methods that could be explored on the Airbnb platform.

Hi all, I have a prospective guest who also does not have a credit card and asked to by cash or debit.  I wrote back to them that airbnb accepts a lot of debit cards that act as credit cards.  Honestly I thought all debit cards did this!  I found this article on airbnb to send my prospective guest.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/209/why-should-i-pay-and-communicate-through-airbnb-directly