Host refuses to cancel reservation for mistake on their part

Benjamin135
Level 1
Washington, DC

Host refuses to cancel reservation for mistake on their part

Hi, seeking help here... (while sitting on hold with AirBNB customer support line). 

I am filming a student project and I needed a house to film. I found one and sent a request to book along with a message stating my intent to film at her location. She ACCEPTED the booking immediately and then sent me a message saying that I COULD NOT film. 

I asked her to please cancel the reservation on her end (strict cancellation policy) so I could find another place and get a refund. 

She refused and now says I am fully responsible for the cancellation. What can I do? I need help resolving it. Is it truly my fault (and thus just have to eat the $200+? Or is there something I can do to recoup the money? 

Thank you!

9 Replies 9
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

You requested to book accomodation, and the host accepted that.

Doing a film shoot is a totally different proposition, different conditions, insurance and very different price point.

David
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

In this instance I side with the guest. The guest made a booking in good faith and the host accepted (obviously without reading the request).

It is the hosts responsibility to cancel. The only exception to this would be if the listing clearly excludes filming or non accommodation activities.

I would not accept a film crew booking but then again I would read the message before accepting!

Cheers

David

We are pushed to accept bookings quickly but if your note explicitly stated you'd be filming, the host should not have accepted the booking. That said, I often get a booking request before the note comes through. 

How do you get a booking request without a note? 

but instant booking doesn't allow host to review beforehand, so it is neither guest nor host fault. why can't airbnb fix this and refund money and cancel reservation?

Instant Booking allows you to book accomodation, there is no Instant Booking for film shoots.

David
José70
Level 5
Lisbon, Portugal

She accepted or does she have instant booking on? If she has instant booking,it's your fault since you should have asked permission before making the reservation. If not,it's her fault for accepting the request without reading your message. Still,i think you will have a hard time finding someone to allow you to film inside the locatin.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Benjamin135

the price for shooting and filming in someones property is MUCH higher than for ordinary stay. And there are different house rules (or contracts if you rent it out of Airbnb for example ) 

So there is no point to send REQUESTS, you should send INQUIRY , ask if hosts agree, if he does than you should communicate about the price and host should send you special offer which you accept or decline.

There is a difference between INQUIRY and REQUESTS . If you inquire than there will be no charge on your credit card . If you REQUEST than your credit card payment is on hold and when your host agree then the payment immediately goes through.

If you are 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Benjamin135

I once got a booking request (I don't use Instant Booking) from a guest for several nights who wanted to attend a music competition.

Great, I accepted the booking for her to stay in my guest room.

After booking was completed said guest then responded saying she would have to practice her violin for a couple of hours beforehand each day, if that was possible in the room in my location. Whaaaaaa?????!!!  My listing clearly describes the openness of my apartment and that I work from home most days (need concentration).

It felt really sneaky to ask me after and not before booking. I told her I was very sorry, but that it would obviously be too loud, unfortunately, and that even the neighbors would probably hear.

She cancelled herself, but I would never have cancelled for her. 

@Branka-and-Silvia0 explained it perfectly.

And as they say, filming involves so much more than a regular stay, that you'd have to re-negociate the fees, and that is better and more respectful in an inquiry. Besides, many hosts have apparently found out later that their listing had been used for adult productions.

You also have to consider that it's a completely different matter making a production that utilizes somebody's interior furnishings for public purposes. I'm actually wondering if there aren't  copyright issues involved.